PHOENIX — The Transportation Security Administration says people don’t seem to be getting the message not to try to bring a gun or other suspicious-looking items through airport security checkpoints.
TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said that guns are a pretty common site at airports. “In calendar year 2013, the TSA found over 1,800 guns at our nation’s airports,” said Melendez. “That’s almost five guns per day at airports around the country. Sixty-six of those guns were found here at Sky Harbor.”
The airport is currently on a pace to have 48 guns found here this year, but Melendez cautions that may be a low figure. “It’s early in the year,” he said.
And it’s not just guns that are being found. Melendez showed a toy grenade, as well as a perfume bottle in the shape of a grenade. Another item that looked like a grenade was actually a carrying case that has small screwdrivers inside.
“In just the past week, we’ve found a bowling pin, we found knives, a circular saw, golf clubs, baseball bats. Pretty much everything in the book that’s not allowed is what we’ve found,” said Melendez.
“Illegal items like brass knuckles and guns and loaded guns are going to cause an inconvenience for you. They could cause you to miss your flight, and could cause you to be fined up to $11,000 by the TSA,” Melendez said.
Many times passengers either forget what they have with them that they can’t bring on the plane, or don’t realize that the item is not allowed.
To find out which items are prohibited, go to www.tsa.gov.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier