PHOENIX — The Transportation Security Administration says people don’t seem to be getting the message not to try to bring a gun or other suspicious-looking items through airport security checkpoints.
TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said that guns are a pretty common site at airports. “In calendar year 2013, the TSA found over 1,800 guns at our nation’s airports,” said Melendez. “That’s almost five guns per day at airports around the country. Sixty-six of those guns were found here at Sky Harbor.”
The airport is currently on a pace to have 48 guns found here this year, but Melendez cautions that may be a low figure. “It’s early in the year,” he said.
And it’s not just guns that are being found. Melendez showed a toy grenade, as well as a perfume bottle in the shape of a grenade. Another item that looked like a grenade was actually a carrying case that has small screwdrivers inside.
“In just the past week, we’ve found a bowling pin, we found knives, a circular saw, golf clubs, baseball bats. Pretty much everything in the book that’s not allowed is what we’ve found,” said Melendez.
“Illegal items like brass knuckles and guns and loaded guns are going to cause an inconvenience for you. They could cause you to miss your flight, and could cause you to be fined up to $11,000 by the TSA,” Melendez said.
Many times passengers either forget what they have with them that they can’t bring on the plane, or don’t realize that the item is not allowed.
To find out which items are prohibited, go to www.tsa.gov.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon