PHOENIX — The weeklong Arizona Wildfire Academy in Prescott will begin Saturday just months after the worst loss of firefighters in state history.
Academy Coordinator Tony Sciacca said they usually see about 60 to 65 people signing up to take the courses to become firefighters. This year’s number is approximately 100.
Sciacca said one of the factors is the Yavapai County Supervisors giving the Arizona Wildfire Academy $19,000 in the name of the fallen 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots to distribute to 24 fire departments to use for tuition at the academy.
Sciacca said the interest in this year’s academy is not just local. It’s worldwide. Australia is sending firefighters too.
“Mostly the signups are coming from the 13 western states but also from Florida, Maine, New York among other states,” he said. “Twenty-nine states are represented and the most I’ve seen before were 27 states.”
Sciacca said it’s not just the young people signing up to become firefighters or just to learn more about wildfire.
“It’s interesting working with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s (Office) and others who staff roadblocks and carry out evacuations during fires are actually taking classes to better understand wildfires and the people who fight them.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick