PHOENIX — The weeklong Arizona Wildfire Academy in Prescott will begin Saturday just months after the worst loss of firefighters in state history.
Academy Coordinator Tony Sciacca said they usually see about 60 to 65 people signing up to take the courses to become firefighters. This year’s number is approximately 100.
Sciacca said one of the factors is the Yavapai County Supervisors giving the Arizona Wildfire Academy $19,000 in the name of the fallen 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots to distribute to 24 fire departments to use for tuition at the academy.
Sciacca said the interest in this year’s academy is not just local. It’s worldwide. Australia is sending firefighters too.
“Mostly the signups are coming from the 13 western states but also from Florida, Maine, New York among other states,” he said. “Twenty-nine states are represented and the most I’ve seen before were 27 states.”
Sciacca said it’s not just the young people signing up to become firefighters or just to learn more about wildfire.
“It’s interesting working with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s (Office) and others who staff roadblocks and carry out evacuations during fires are actually taking classes to better understand wildfires and the people who fight them.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night