PHOENIX — The weeklong Arizona Wildfire Academy in Prescott will begin Saturday just months after the worst loss of firefighters in state history.
Academy Coordinator Tony Sciacca said they usually see about 60 to 65 people signing up to take the courses to become firefighters. This year’s number is approximately 100.
Sciacca said one of the factors is the Yavapai County Supervisors giving the Arizona Wildfire Academy $19,000 in the name of the fallen 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots to distribute to 24 fire departments to use for tuition at the academy.
Sciacca said the interest in this year’s academy is not just local. It’s worldwide. Australia is sending firefighters too.
“Mostly the signups are coming from the 13 western states but also from Florida, Maine, New York among other states,” he said. “Twenty-nine states are represented and the most I’ve seen before were 27 states.”
Sciacca said it’s not just the young people signing up to become firefighters or just to learn more about wildfire.
“It’s interesting working with the Yavapai County Sheriff’s (Office) and others who staff roadblocks and carry out evacuations during fires are actually taking classes to better understand wildfires and the people who fight them.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns