PHOENIX — Religious leaders who opposed Senate Bill 1062 showed up at the Arizona State Capitol Tuesday to thanks Gov. Jan Brewer for vetoing it.
Brewer could not meet with them, but members of the Universalist Church and the United Church of Christ brought a letter to her office to show gratitude for rejecting the bill.
The Rev. James Pennington of the United Church of Christ said that over 200 people signed the letter.
“We’re here to thank Jan Brewer for vetoing this,” he said. “We’ve gathered numerous signatures at a higher level from the Unitarian and the United Church of Christ to thank her and just be grateful.”
Another church official echoed Pennington’s sentiments.
“We really wanted to make it clear that not all folks who are spiritual and religious and from a variety of backgrounds really would want discrimination written in on a religious level,” said Paul Mitchell, executive director of the Universalist Church.
The letter also thanked all of the state lawmakers who voted against the bill. The last sentence of the letter reads “May the long nightmare of Arizona as a state that legally sanctions discrimination and oppression finally come to an end.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.