PHOENIX — Religious leaders who opposed Senate Bill 1062 showed up at the Arizona State Capitol Tuesday to thanks Gov. Jan Brewer for vetoing it.
Brewer could not meet with them, but members of the Universalist Church and the United Church of Christ brought a letter to her office to show gratitude for rejecting the bill.
The Rev. James Pennington of the United Church of Christ said that over 200 people signed the letter.
“We’re here to thank Jan Brewer for vetoing this,” he said. “We’ve gathered numerous signatures at a higher level from the Unitarian and the United Church of Christ to thank her and just be grateful.”
Another church official echoed Pennington’s sentiments.
“We really wanted to make it clear that not all folks who are spiritual and religious and from a variety of backgrounds really would want discrimination written in on a religious level,” said Paul Mitchell, executive director of the Universalist Church.
The letter also thanked all of the state lawmakers who voted against the bill. The last sentence of the letter reads “May the long nightmare of Arizona as a state that legally sanctions discrimination and oppression finally come to an end.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick