PHOENIX — The Republican Party’s hold over Arizona could dwindle in the coming years because of a surge in the Latino population, a study said.
“All these new individuals that are adding to the population numbers are born in the United States, making them U.S. citizens and making them eligible to change the political context in the state of Arizona moving forward,” said James Sanchez with the University of Mexico, one of the people involved in the study.
Sanchez said Republicans may face strong opposition as the population grows because more Latinos identify themselves as liberal.
“Arizona Hispanic voters have not quite abandoned the Republican Party completely, but are definitely moving in that direction,” said James Sanchez with the University of Mexico, one of the people involved in the study. “Seventy-five percent of Latinos indicate that they are Democrats to only 19 percent Republicans.
“The picture is not all that pretty if you are with the GOP in the state,” he said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night