PHOENIX — The Republican Party’s hold over Arizona could dwindle in the coming years because of a surge in the Latino population, a study said.
“All these new individuals that are adding to the population numbers are born in the United States, making them U.S. citizens and making them eligible to change the political context in the state of Arizona moving forward,” said James Sanchez with the University of Mexico, one of the people involved in the study.
Sanchez said Republicans may face strong opposition as the population grows because more Latinos identify themselves as liberal.
“Arizona Hispanic voters have not quite abandoned the Republican Party completely, but are definitely moving in that direction,” said James Sanchez with the University of Mexico, one of the people involved in the study. “Seventy-five percent of Latinos indicate that they are Democrats to only 19 percent Republicans.
“The picture is not all that pretty if you are with the GOP in the state,” he said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy