PHOENIX — The Republican Party’s hold over Arizona could dwindle in the coming years because of a surge in the Latino population, a study said.
“All these new individuals that are adding to the population numbers are born in the United States, making them U.S. citizens and making them eligible to change the political context in the state of Arizona moving forward,” said James Sanchez with the University of Mexico, one of the people involved in the study.
Sanchez said Republicans may face strong opposition as the population grows because more Latinos identify themselves as liberal.
“Arizona Hispanic voters have not quite abandoned the Republican Party completely, but are definitely moving in that direction,” said James Sanchez with the University of Mexico, one of the people involved in the study. “Seventy-five percent of Latinos indicate that they are Democrats to only 19 percent Republicans.
“The picture is not all that pretty if you are with the GOP in the state,” he said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns