PHOENIX — Arizona’s high country ski resorts are celebrating a late winter blast of snow that dumped almost two dozen inches.
At Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff, 22 inches of new powder fell, and 19 inches of fresh snow fell on Sunrise Park Resort near Greer.
Mother Nature has been a no-show for most of the winter and both resorts depended almost exclusively on snowmaking equipment to reach this point. Bill London with Sunrise Park Resort said he hopes they can keep going until Easter.
“Unless it gets unseasonably warm, we’ll get through March,” London said. “Right now, it’s really good. This last storm sets us up nicely; it helped us a ton.”
London said the mountain had no snow in January or February and they were dealing with warm temperatures that made ski conditions dicey.
Ryan Hartl with Arizona Snowbowl said last weekend brought the first real snow since December and rekindled the interest for skiers, adding that Snowbowl “absolutely would not be open right now without the snowmaking equipment.”
Hartl said they have actually had a pretty good season so far, adding they have been open since Thanksgiving and haven’t had to shut down operations for even a single day.
Northern Arizona is expecting more snow this weekend. March is typically one of the heaviest months for snow in the high country.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development