PHOENIX — Arizona’s high country ski resorts are celebrating a late winter blast of snow that dumped almost two dozen inches.
At Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff, 22 inches of new powder fell, and 19 inches of fresh snow fell on Sunrise Park Resort near Greer.
Mother Nature has been a no-show for most of the winter and both resorts depended almost exclusively on snowmaking equipment to reach this point. Bill London with Sunrise Park Resort said he hopes they can keep going until Easter.
“Unless it gets unseasonably warm, we’ll get through March,” London said. “Right now, it’s really good. This last storm sets us up nicely; it helped us a ton.”
London said the mountain had no snow in January or February and they were dealing with warm temperatures that made ski conditions dicey.
Ryan Hartl with Arizona Snowbowl said last weekend brought the first real snow since December and rekindled the interest for skiers, adding that Snowbowl “absolutely would not be open right now without the snowmaking equipment.”
Hartl said they have actually had a pretty good season so far, adding they have been open since Thanksgiving and haven’t had to shut down operations for even a single day.
Northern Arizona is expecting more snow this weekend. March is typically one of the heaviest months for snow in the high country.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food