PHOENIX — As a tourist destination, it appears Mexico is making a big comeback.
“We’re seeing Arizona bookings to Mexico on Princess Cruises are up 240 percent over last year,” said Michelle Donati of Triple-A. “Mexico auto insurance, short-term policies that drivers buy before driving to destinations, like Rocky Point, increased more than 62 percent from 2012 to 2013.”
Despite proximity and affordability, highly-reported cases of border violence took a huge toll on the country’s tourism industry.
“Of the travelers that Triple-A has booked to Mexico, we have not experienced any issues,” Donati said. “In terms of the violence there, none of it has ever been directed at tourists and that has stayed the same. I think folks have fewer reservations about traveling south.”
Because people are less fearful of visiting the colorful country, travel experts encourage consumers to travel smart, use common sense and stay up-to-date with State Department Advisories.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon