PHOENIX – A Phoenix police officer died and another was in critical
condition after a shootout Monday that also killed a man wanted on a felony
warrant, authorities said.
The officers, part of a fugitive apprehension team, were shot near the intersection of 43rd Avenue and Bethany Home Road at 3:30 p.m.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said both officers were taken St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix where one died while in surgery. The officer has not been identified, but Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said he was a 21-year veteran of the force.
“The other officer is fighting for his life,” Garcia said at a news
conference. The name of that nine-year department veteran also was being
withheld by police officials.
The officer has since left surgery and is recovering in the ICU, Crump said.
The shootout occurred after the suspect fled in his car, caused a three-vehicle
collision, and ran away on foot before exchanging gunfire with officers outside
a check cashing and title loan business, authorities said.
“It was obvious that the guy was out of control,” said Wayne Monton, who owns
a nearby business and witnessed the shooting. “After the crash and the
shooting, everybody just took off running. It was chaos.”
The suspect came around a corner with a gun and a third officer was able to
fire on the suspect and stop the threat, police spokesman Detective James Holmes
The suspect’s name was not immediately released.
An 83-year-old woman and a 53-year-old man suffered minor injuries in the car
accident that closed an intersection for more than an hour.
Nick Cusson, manager of a restaurant in a shopping mall near the shooting
scene, said he heard more than a dozen shots just a few minutes after arriving
“The next thing you know, the whole parking lot is scattered with people,”
Cusson said. “Then within about 30 seconds, we see all these cops driving up.”
Cusson said he had noticed several unmarked police cars parked nearby just
before the shooting but didn’t think much of it.
“Then I guess there was a shootout,” he said. “We were all looking out the
window. We were kind of curious. We weren’t sure they were gunshots at first.”
Cusson said he was closing his shop because the entire area had been cordoned
off by police.
“No one can come pick their food up and we can’t get delivery drivers out,”
As a result of the shooting, 43rd Avenue between Camelback and Maryland and Bethany Home Road between 47th and 39th avenues were closed.
Closures will be in effect most of the night and potentially into the morning. Use alternate routes
— Glendale Police (@GlendaleAZPD) March 3, 2014
KTAR’s Detour Dan reported that there were more than 70 police cars in the area.
A nearby high school was evacuated.
Update: RCB Medical Arts High School (43rd Ave/Bethany Home Road) has been evacuated. #abc15
— ABC15 Arizona (@abc15) March 3, 2014
KTAR’s Corbin Carson and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns