GLENDALE, Ariz. — They have prayed. They have fasted. Now, they’re visiting congressional offices across 18 states, including the Glendale office of Rep. Trent Franks and the Gilbert office of Rep. Matt Salmon.
“The American people have spoken loud and clear. They want a solution,” said Elisao Medina with Fast for Families Across America.
The group delivered letters to both offices asking the Arizona Republicans to push House leadership to vote on immigration reform. The U.S. Senate approved a reform bill last year with the help of Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake.
“It comes down to a vote of moral courage,” said Donna Cheung who represented the Arizona chapters of the Japanese-American Citizens League and National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum. “People in Arizona still think of immigration as a Latino issue and we know as Asian-Americans that immigration reform affects all communities and we know this because one in ten Asians is a Dreamer and the second largest group of the undocumented are Asians.”
The group claims it has history on its side.
“We are strengthened both by our faith, but also by what we have seen in history,” said Medina. “You know we saw the huge change that came about with the launching of the civil rights movement. We saw the big change that happened with the launching of the women’s movement. We saw what happened when Cesar Chavez and the farmworkers launched their movement and we know that people who are willing to sacrifice and work hard eventually prevail.”
The group launched a bus tour two weeks ago from Los Angeles. It will end in Washington, D.C. on April 9.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets