The Central Arizona Wildland Response Team is having its annual wildland fire preparedness drill later this week.
The drill will be held at the Goldfield Workstation on the Mesa Ranger District of the Tonto National Forest on Wednesday and Thursday.
Each year more than 25 stage and federal agencies, including local fire departments, come together to prepare for the upcoming wildland fire season.
“The drill is managed by an incident management team and allows us to build relationships with the agencies that will be working together this season,” Tempe firefighter Kevin Bailey Jr. said.
Meanwhile, the weeklong Arizona Wildfire Academy begins Saturday in Prescott.
Going into last weekend the conditions were similar to what you would see in May and June. The rain and snow across the state helped, but the severity of our upcoming season will be determined by springtime rainfall.
“Because of the low snowpack and [lack of] rainfall we’ve had up until this point, we are expecting a nasty fire season,” Bailey said. “We’re about three months ahead of schedule right now and we need more rain from now until May.”
Until Saturday Phoenix had gone 70 days without rainfall.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy