The Central Arizona Wildland Response Team is having its annual wildland fire preparedness drill later this week.
The drill will be held at the Goldfield Workstation on the Mesa Ranger District of the Tonto National Forest on Wednesday and Thursday.
Each year more than 25 stage and federal agencies, including local fire departments, come together to prepare for the upcoming wildland fire season.
“The drill is managed by an incident management team and allows us to build relationships with the agencies that will be working together this season,” Tempe firefighter Kevin Bailey Jr. said.
Meanwhile, the weeklong Arizona Wildfire Academy begins Saturday in Prescott.
Going into last weekend the conditions were similar to what you would see in May and June. The rain and snow across the state helped, but the severity of our upcoming season will be determined by springtime rainfall.
“Because of the low snowpack and [lack of] rainfall we’ve had up until this point, we are expecting a nasty fire season,” Bailey said. “We’re about three months ahead of schedule right now and we need more rain from now until May.”
Until Saturday Phoenix had gone 70 days without rainfall.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development