PHOENIX — A weekend storm system that drenched Phoenix is already tapering
off, but not without leaving damage in its wake.
Residents are cleaning up Sunday after showers, wind gusts and even
hail fell the night before.
While there have been no reports of weather-related injuries, the storm led to
power outages Saturday night for 2,050 people in central Phoenix.
Jim McDonald, a spokesman for Arizona Public Service Company, said power was
restored within an hour.
There were even reports of a funnel cloud in the area.
“It looked like it occurred around 12:45 to 12:50 pm [Saturday] and the location was in Mesa…in the Palm Cove apartment complex,” said Charlotte Dewey of the National Weather Service.
Dewey said that they are working on confirming that the funnel cloud became a tornado.
“Right now, it looks to be EF-0, which is the lowest scale,” she said.
The presumed tornado was brief and did not travel very far, but it did leave a little bit of damage to some properties.
“A survey was done [Sunday], and from reports and eyewitnesses, there was a hot tub that was launched and moved around 1,300 feet, [there was] extensive shingle damage and several large tress knocked down and uprooted,” Dewey said.
The NWS is expected to release more detail about the tornado on Monday.
Meanwhile, a wash in Cave Creek, which saw as much as 2 inches of rain, overflowed.
Several events also became weather casualties Saturday, including two spring
training games and a NASCAR Nationwide Series race that was cut short.
In southern Arizona, Tucson saw 0.6 inches of rain while Sierra Vista and
Nogales more than 1 inch since Saturday morning.
North in Flagstaff, the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort reported receiving 13
inches of snow in the past 24 hours.
The bulk of the storm has passed, National Weather Service forecasters say.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development