PHOENIX — A weekend storm system that drenched Phoenix is already tapering
off, but not without leaving damage in its wake.
Residents are cleaning up Sunday after showers, wind gusts and even
hail fell the night before.
While there have been no reports of weather-related injuries, the storm led to
power outages Saturday night for 2,050 people in central Phoenix.
Jim McDonald, a spokesman for Arizona Public Service Company, said power was
restored within an hour.
There were even reports of a funnel cloud in the area.
“It looked like it occurred around 12:45 to 12:50 pm [Saturday] and the location was in Mesa…in the Palm Cove apartment complex,” said Charlotte Dewey of the National Weather Service.
Dewey said that they are working on confirming that the funnel cloud became a tornado.
“Right now, it looks to be EF-0, which is the lowest scale,” she said.
The presumed tornado was brief and did not travel very far, but it did leave a little bit of damage to some properties.
“A survey was done [Sunday], and from reports and eyewitnesses, there was a hot tub that was launched and moved around 1,300 feet, [there was] extensive shingle damage and several large tress knocked down and uprooted,” Dewey said.
The NWS is expected to release more detail about the tornado on Monday.
Meanwhile, a wash in Cave Creek, which saw as much as 2 inches of rain, overflowed.
Several events also became weather casualties Saturday, including two spring
training games and a NASCAR Nationwide Series race that was cut short.
In southern Arizona, Tucson saw 0.6 inches of rain while Sierra Vista and
Nogales more than 1 inch since Saturday morning.
North in Flagstaff, the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort reported receiving 13
inches of snow in the past 24 hours.
The bulk of the storm has passed, National Weather Service forecasters say.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas