PHOENIX — A weekend storm system that drenched Phoenix is already tapering
off, but not without leaving damage in its wake.
Residents are cleaning up Sunday after showers, wind gusts and even
hail fell the night before.
While there have been no reports of weather-related injuries, the storm led to
power outages Saturday night for 2,050 people in central Phoenix.
Jim McDonald, a spokesman for Arizona Public Service Company, said power was
restored within an hour.
There were even reports of a funnel cloud in the area.
“It looked like it occurred around 12:45 to 12:50 pm [Saturday] and the location was in Mesa…in the Palm Cove apartment complex,” said Charlotte Dewey of the National Weather Service.
Dewey said that they are working on confirming that the funnel cloud became a tornado.
“Right now, it looks to be EF-0, which is the lowest scale,” she said.
The presumed tornado was brief and did not travel very far, but it did leave a little bit of damage to some properties.
“A survey was done [Sunday], and from reports and eyewitnesses, there was a hot tub that was launched and moved around 1,300 feet, [there was] extensive shingle damage and several large tress knocked down and uprooted,” Dewey said.
The NWS is expected to release more detail about the tornado on Monday.
Meanwhile, a wash in Cave Creek, which saw as much as 2 inches of rain, overflowed.
Several events also became weather casualties Saturday, including two spring
training games and a NASCAR Nationwide Series race that was cut short.
In southern Arizona, Tucson saw 0.6 inches of rain while Sierra Vista and
Nogales more than 1 inch since Saturday morning.
North in Flagstaff, the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort reported receiving 13
inches of snow in the past 24 hours.
The bulk of the storm has passed, National Weather Service forecasters say.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them