PHOENIX — Fifteen Airmen from the 161st Air Refueling Wing Logistics Readiness Squadron have been deployed to serve a six-month tour of duty in Afghanistan.
“It’s going to be tough,” said Staff Sgt. Anthony Anderson. “The first time I deployed I didn’t have a wife or daughter. The game has changed.”
During an official send off at Sky Harbor Airport, unit leadership encouraged the airmen to use the technology available to maintain contact with their loved ones, while they provide aerial services for U.S forces oversees.
According to the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs, more than 100 Arizona National Guard soldiers and airmen are still serving on federal active duty overseas.
More than 10,000 Arizona Guard members have been called to federal active service since Sept. 11, 2001.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development