AVONDALE, Ariz. — It’s the 50th anniversary of Phoenix International Raceway and racing royalty will be in town for the event, including racing legends Richard Petty, Bobby Allison, A.J. Foyt and the 1983 Indy 500 winner Tom Sneva from Scottsdale.
About 10,000 RVs and more than 100,000 fans have turned PIR into its own city.
Drivers will be running practice and qualifying laps Friday morning. NASCAR officials are keeping a close eye on the storms in California that will be making a run on Arizona over the weekend.
Neither Friday night’s Mexico Toyota Series race nor Sunday’s Profit on CNBC 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race but Saturday afternoon’s Blue Jeans Go GreenTM 200 NASCAR Nationwide Series Race could be impacted.
A track spokesman, Zac Emmons, said plans are in place to deal with possible rain delays.
“We will update fans every half hour throughout any delay using our social media accounts. We have a mobile app that will be used along with text messaging. We will use our PA systems and video systems as well,” he said.
Last weekend’s Daytona 500 in Florida was delayed six hours because of rain. PIR has the same heavy-duty drying systems to get the track in shape after a rain. Saturday’s race will be completed even if that means running into night.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food