PHOENIX — Chihuahuas are one of the most populous breeds in Maricopa County, and a dog shelter in Pennsylvania is helping to reduce the number.
Nearly two dozen canines will be taking a 2,400-mile car ride to the commonwealth after the Paws to Heart shelter of Bensalem, Pa., agreed to take in the Chihuahuas.
“They had two representatives fly into Phoenix, and then Friday morning they are renting a van,” said Melissa Gable, public information officer for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control. “We have already selected the Chihuahuas that will be going; they have already been spayed and neutered.”
Gable said Paws to Heart’s removal of the dogs is a big help to MCACC because Chihuahuas and pit bulls make up the largest dog populations in county shelters and are overpopulated.
“There’s just too many animals and not enough homes,” Gable said.
She reiterated that with recent news of the west Phoenix neighborhood of Maryvale dealing with wild Chihuahua packs running loose on the streets, it’s important to spay and neuter pets to stop overpopulation.
“A lot of these dogs that are running loose, they’re not spayed or neutered, they’re out running, looking for mates and then they’re going to have more babies,” Gable said. “It’s just going to contribute to the problem, and it’s not going to get any better.”
Gable said MCACC is giving up 20 dogs to the Pennsylvania shelter at no cost.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development