PHOENIX — Chihuahuas are one of the most populous breeds in Maricopa County, and a dog shelter in Pennsylvania is helping to reduce the number.
Nearly two dozen canines will be taking a 2,400-mile car ride to the commonwealth after the Paws to Heart shelter of Bensalem, Pa., agreed to take in the Chihuahuas.
“They had two representatives fly into Phoenix, and then Friday morning they are renting a van,” said Melissa Gable, public information officer for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control. “We have already selected the Chihuahuas that will be going; they have already been spayed and neutered.”
Gable said Paws to Heart’s removal of the dogs is a big help to MCACC because Chihuahuas and pit bulls make up the largest dog populations in county shelters and are overpopulated.
“There’s just too many animals and not enough homes,” Gable said.
She reiterated that with recent news of the west Phoenix neighborhood of Maryvale dealing with wild Chihuahua packs running loose on the streets, it’s important to spay and neuter pets to stop overpopulation.
“A lot of these dogs that are running loose, they’re not spayed or neutered, they’re out running, looking for mates and then they’re going to have more babies,” Gable said. “It’s just going to contribute to the problem, and it’s not going to get any better.”
Gable said MCACC is giving up 20 dogs to the Pennsylvania shelter at no cost.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night