PHOENIX — Chihuahuas are one of the most populous breeds in Maricopa County, and a dog shelter in Pennsylvania is helping to reduce the number.
Nearly two dozen canines will be taking a 2,400-mile car ride to the commonwealth after the Paws to Heart shelter of Bensalem, Pa., agreed to take in the Chihuahuas.
“They had two representatives fly into Phoenix, and then Friday morning they are renting a van,” said Melissa Gable, public information officer for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control. “We have already selected the Chihuahuas that will be going; they have already been spayed and neutered.”
Gable said Paws to Heart’s removal of the dogs is a big help to MCACC because Chihuahuas and pit bulls make up the largest dog populations in county shelters and are overpopulated.
“There’s just too many animals and not enough homes,” Gable said.
She reiterated that with recent news of the west Phoenix neighborhood of Maryvale dealing with wild Chihuahua packs running loose on the streets, it’s important to spay and neuter pets to stop overpopulation.
“A lot of these dogs that are running loose, they’re not spayed or neutered, they’re out running, looking for mates and then they’re going to have more babies,” Gable said. “It’s just going to contribute to the problem, and it’s not going to get any better.”
Gable said MCACC is giving up 20 dogs to the Pennsylvania shelter at no cost.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.