PHOENIX — With the Super Bowl coming to Glendale, Ariz., in 2015, a member of the U.S. State Department is coming to the Valley to help lend a hand with combating human trafficking.
Ambassador Luis Cdebaca is head of the anti-human trafficking office and President Obama’s senior adviser on issues that relate to human trafficking. He will be meeting with Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and members of the newly created Human Trafficking Task Force on Friday to discuss ways to combat the issue.
Cdebaca said human trafficking, whether for labor or the sex trade, is often linked in proximity to the Super Bowl but is an issue that persists independently of the big game.
“Human trafficking was happening before the Super Bowl was announced, and human trafficking will unfortunately be happening after the Super Bowl is over,” Cdebaca said. “We have to be vigilant to recognize the victims of modern slavery.”
Cdebaca added, though, that the attention the Super Bowl brings to the issue is beneficial.
He said with Arizona being a border state, it can be a hotbed for recruitment and the service of human trafficking.
“Whether it’s men, women, girls, boys trapped in prostitution, whether it’s folks in strip clubs (or) folks in the sex industry, (they) need to be looked at to see (if) they need help,” Cdebaca said.
Reducing demand is a critical aspect of mitigating the human trafficking trade, and Cdebaca said one of the focal points of the Phoenix meeting will be to make an appeal toward men in the state.
“Men need to take a stand against this type of exploitation,” he said. “That’s really what we’re going to be talking about: Issuing a challenge as it were to men that they need to stand up and they need to deal with this.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them