PHOENIX — A new report on where retirees live in Arizona might surprise you.
People over the age of 65 are a growing population.
“Ten-thousand people turn 65 every day in this country,” said AARP Vice President Julie Lee.
U.S. News and World Report says that Arizona and Florida have the highest rates of people older than 65.
You might be surprised to hear that the largest percentage of them is not in Sun City, Ariz. As of 2010, 20 percent of Scottsdale residents were over 65. That makes it the place with the highest percentage of 65-year-old (or older) residents among cities with more than 100,000 people.
Roughly 44,000 residents over the age of 65 call Scottsdale home. Lee said that it’s easy to see why.
“It’s a beautiful city,” she said. “I can imagine why a lot of people want to come here after they stop working and come and play golf and do lots of great things in your beautiful city.”
Surprise, Ariz., is fourth on the list at 19 percent. Florida’s Clearwater and Hialeah and Honolulu, Hawaii, are the other three cities in the top five.
Lee added it might be a good idea for people over 65 to take a refresher course on driving. She said that several are being offered in the Valley.
“There are lots of courses in the Scottsdale and Phoenix areas. A volunteer teaches the course that refreshes various driving skills. There’s no test, and it’s really lots of fun,” she said.
For more information on driving courses, click here.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas