PHOENIX — Local landfills won’t gain any weight after the Arizona Diamondbacks’ March 13 spring training game at Salt River Fields.
The team will play the Seattle Mariners in its first-ever zero-waste game.
“Working with the city of Phoenix, and with (recycling company) Republic Services, we’re going to take all waste and compost rather than going to a landfill,” said D-backs President Derrick Hall.
“In a nutshell, everything that’s recyclable will go into recycle bins, and everything that’s compostable, we would like to see go into the compostable bins,” said Peter Keller of Republic Services.
Keller said the company will have its recycling trucks on display at the ballpark. Over 100 volunteers will be on hand to help fans get rid of their hot dog wrappers , beer cups and other throwaways. None of the material will be going to a landfill.
Keller hopes fans will take something away from their day at the ballpark.
“We really want everybody to take some of the things that they learn at the field home and to their place of businesses, just to encourage additional recycling,” he said.
“The key here is making sure that we can all take waste and make it a resource, and we’re going to do that on March 13,” Hall added.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon