PHOENIX — Local landfills won’t gain any weight after the Arizona Diamondbacks’ March 13 spring training game at Salt River Fields.
The team will play the Seattle Mariners in its first-ever zero-waste game.
“Working with the city of Phoenix, and with (recycling company) Republic Services, we’re going to take all waste and compost rather than going to a landfill,” said D-backs President Derrick Hall.
“In a nutshell, everything that’s recyclable will go into recycle bins, and everything that’s compostable, we would like to see go into the compostable bins,” said Peter Keller of Republic Services.
Keller said the company will have its recycling trucks on display at the ballpark. Over 100 volunteers will be on hand to help fans get rid of their hot dog wrappers , beer cups and other throwaways. None of the material will be going to a landfill.
Keller hopes fans will take something away from their day at the ballpark.
“We really want everybody to take some of the things that they learn at the field home and to their place of businesses, just to encourage additional recycling,” he said.
“The key here is making sure that we can all take waste and make it a resource, and we’re going to do that on March 13,” Hall added.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.