PHOENIX — Local landfills won’t gain any weight after the Arizona Diamondbacks’ March 13 spring training game at Salt River Fields.
The team will play the Seattle Mariners in its first-ever zero-waste game.
“Working with the city of Phoenix, and with (recycling company) Republic Services, we’re going to take all waste and compost rather than going to a landfill,” said D-backs President Derrick Hall.
“In a nutshell, everything that’s recyclable will go into recycle bins, and everything that’s compostable, we would like to see go into the compostable bins,” said Peter Keller of Republic Services.
Keller said the company will have its recycling trucks on display at the ballpark. Over 100 volunteers will be on hand to help fans get rid of their hot dog wrappers , beer cups and other throwaways. None of the material will be going to a landfill.
Keller hopes fans will take something away from their day at the ballpark.
“We really want everybody to take some of the things that they learn at the field home and to their place of businesses, just to encourage additional recycling,” he said.
“The key here is making sure that we can all take waste and make it a resource, and we’re going to do that on March 13,” Hall added.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night