PHOENIX — Prominent members of the gay community are rejoicing after Governor Jan Brewer killed a controversial bill that some said would have legalized discrimination.
Former Phoenix City Councilman Tom Simplot, who is openly gay, is one of those people.
“I raced home, turned on the TV to watch what I hoped would be good news,” he said.
Simplot had served the city for a decade, during which time he became a champion for LGBTQ rights.
“It was a huge sigh of relief, she did the right thing,” he said. “Had she not vetoed SB 1062, it would have been catastrophic. Without a doubt, she listened very closely to the business community.”
Simplot was in office during the SB 1070 ordeal and expects the state’s image, which has taken a beating once again, will recover.
“At the end of the day, those folks who visit the state, visit Phoenix know that we are a welcoming state and welcoming city and they will continue to come back,” he said.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains