PHOENIX — Prominent members of the gay community are rejoicing after Governor Jan Brewer killed a controversial bill that some said would have legalized discrimination.
Former Phoenix City Councilman Tom Simplot, who is openly gay, is one of those people.
“I raced home, turned on the TV to watch what I hoped would be good news,” he said.
Simplot had served the city for a decade, during which time he became a champion for LGBTQ rights.
“It was a huge sigh of relief, she did the right thing,” he said. “Had she not vetoed SB 1062, it would have been catastrophic. Without a doubt, she listened very closely to the business community.”
Simplot was in office during the SB 1070 ordeal and expects the state’s image, which has taken a beating once again, will recover.
“At the end of the day, those folks who visit the state, visit Phoenix know that we are a welcoming state and welcoming city and they will continue to come back,” he said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development