PHOENIX — Prominent members of the gay community are rejoicing after Governor Jan Brewer killed a controversial bill that some said would have legalized discrimination.
Former Phoenix City Councilman Tom Simplot, who is openly gay, is one of those people.
“I raced home, turned on the TV to watch what I hoped would be good news,” he said.
Simplot had served the city for a decade, during which time he became a champion for LGBTQ rights.
“It was a huge sigh of relief, she did the right thing,” he said. “Had she not vetoed SB 1062, it would have been catastrophic. Without a doubt, she listened very closely to the business community.”
Simplot was in office during the SB 1070 ordeal and expects the state’s image, which has taken a beating once again, will recover.
“At the end of the day, those folks who visit the state, visit Phoenix know that we are a welcoming state and welcoming city and they will continue to come back,” he said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America