PHOENIX — Prominent members of the gay community are rejoicing after Governor Jan Brewer killed a controversial bill that some said would have legalized discrimination.
Former Phoenix City Councilman Tom Simplot, who is openly gay, is one of those people.
“I raced home, turned on the TV to watch what I hoped would be good news,” he said.
Simplot had served the city for a decade, during which time he became a champion for LGBTQ rights.
“It was a huge sigh of relief, she did the right thing,” he said. “Had she not vetoed SB 1062, it would have been catastrophic. Without a doubt, she listened very closely to the business community.”
Simplot was in office during the SB 1070 ordeal and expects the state’s image, which has taken a beating once again, will recover.
“At the end of the day, those folks who visit the state, visit Phoenix know that we are a welcoming state and welcoming city and they will continue to come back,” he said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food