PHOENIX — Phoenix was named a finalist to host the 2016 Republican National Convention, it was announced Thursday.
The state capital of Arizona submitted its bid Tuesday. Former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona led the committee.
The Valley was a finalist for the 2012 convention that eventually went to Tampa, Fla.
Reince Preibus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, tweeted out the news:
Congratulations to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Dallas, Kansas City, Las Vegas & Phoenix for moving on to the next phase.
— Reince Priebus (@Reince) February 27, 2014
The announcement comes the day after Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a controversial bill that would have allowed businesses to deny service to gays and others, based on religious beliefs.
The bill drew national attention and state and local business leaders were vociferous in their opposition. The NFL reportedly was considering pulling the 2015 Super Bowl from Arizona if the bill passed.
“The opportunity (to host) has now become very real,” said Robert Graham, chairman of the state’s Republican Party. “We’re looking at U.S. Airways Center — it has the capacity. So does Chase Field. The Phoenix Convention Center will also be used.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development