PHOENIX — Phoenix was named a finalist to host the 2016 Republican National Convention, it was announced Thursday.
The state capital of Arizona submitted its bid Tuesday. Former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona led the committee.
The Valley was a finalist for the 2012 convention that eventually went to Tampa, Fla.
Reince Preibus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, tweeted out the news:
Congratulations to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Dallas, Kansas City, Las Vegas & Phoenix for moving on to the next phase.
— Reince Priebus (@Reince) February 27, 2014
The announcement comes the day after Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a controversial bill that would have allowed businesses to deny service to gays and others, based on religious beliefs.
The bill drew national attention and state and local business leaders were vociferous in their opposition. The NFL reportedly was considering pulling the 2015 Super Bowl from Arizona if the bill passed.
“The opportunity (to host) has now become very real,” said Robert Graham, chairman of the state’s Republican Party. “We’re looking at U.S. Airways Center — it has the capacity. So does Chase Field. The Phoenix Convention Center will also be used.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets