PHOENIX — Phoenix was named a finalist to host the 2016 Republican National Convention, it was announced Thursday.
The state capital of Arizona submitted its bid Tuesday. Former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona led the committee.
The Valley was a finalist for the 2012 convention that eventually went to Tampa, Fla.
Reince Preibus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, tweeted out the news:
Congratulations to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Dallas, Kansas City, Las Vegas & Phoenix for moving on to the next phase.
— Reince Priebus (@Reince) February 27, 2014
The announcement comes the day after Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a controversial bill that would have allowed businesses to deny service to gays and others, based on religious beliefs.
The bill drew national attention and state and local business leaders were vociferous in their opposition. The NFL reportedly was considering pulling the 2015 Super Bowl from Arizona if the bill passed.
“The opportunity (to host) has now become very real,” said Robert Graham, chairman of the state’s Republican Party. “We’re looking at U.S. Airways Center — it has the capacity. So does Chase Field. The Phoenix Convention Center will also be used.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night