PHOENIX — A new report shows that fewer young American kids are starting life with extra pounds.
The Center for Disease Control says the obesity rate for children between two and five years old has dropped a whopping 43 percent since 2004.
It’s apparently the same story in Arizona.
“We’ve actually seen a decrease in our two-to-five year-olds as well, both in our overweight and our obese population,” said Dr. Cara Christ of the Arizona Department of Health Services.
Christ said that programs such as WIC are offering more healthy products, while pre-schools are teaching families how to do things better. “Increase physical activity, decrease screen time, help them to eat properly,” Christ said.
Adult obesity dropped three percent nationwide, and Christ says that’s about the same here. She admits that it’s harder for adults to lose weight.
“It’s harder to change your habits and get that physical activity when you come home from work after working all day,” said Christ. “It’s just a population that we know we need to work on.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them