PHOENIX — A new report shows that fewer young American kids are starting life with extra pounds.
The Center for Disease Control says the obesity rate for children between two and five years old has dropped a whopping 43 percent since 2004.
It’s apparently the same story in Arizona.
“We’ve actually seen a decrease in our two-to-five year-olds as well, both in our overweight and our obese population,” said Dr. Cara Christ of the Arizona Department of Health Services.
Christ said that programs such as WIC are offering more healthy products, while pre-schools are teaching families how to do things better. “Increase physical activity, decrease screen time, help them to eat properly,” Christ said.
Adult obesity dropped three percent nationwide, and Christ says that’s about the same here. She admits that it’s harder for adults to lose weight.
“It’s harder to change your habits and get that physical activity when you come home from work after working all day,” said Christ. “It’s just a population that we know we need to work on.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier