PHOENIX — A pro-LGBT group wants the Center for Arizona Policy to shut down.
CAP is the group that was a major supporter of Arizona’s controversial religious rights bill, SB-1062. Governor Brewer vetoed that bill on Wednesday.
Thirty members of the group “Citizens for a Better Arizona” showed up at the center’s offices in Phoenix before the veto on Wednesday afternoon. They were demanding an apology from CAP President Cathi Herrod for supporting the bill.
“She’s the puppeteer behind SB-1062,” said Beto Soto, the field director for Citizens For A Better Arizona. “She’s the one that needs to be held accountable. She’s been hurting Arizona, and she is a super lobbyist.”
Soto is also demanding that CAP close its doors. “Arizona legislators need to understand that Cathi Herrod is no longer welcome in our state. Her values are not compatible with Arizona, and that stops here,” he said.
He claimed that Herrod’s views are out of touch with Arizona.
“We are no longer the state of 1070. This is no longer the state of Russell Pearce,” said Soto. “We are moving forward in Arizona, and 1062 is moving backwards.
Russell Pearce is the former Arizona State Senator who co-wrote SB-1070, Arizona’s controversial immigration bill.
Soto’s group were met by security officers who did not allow them to enter. When the group put up caution tape and taped several protest signs to the office window, the guards then ordered them to get off of the property.
Soto says they’ll be back Thursday afternoon at 1 p.m.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier