PHOENIX — A pro-LGBT group wants the Center for Arizona Policy to shut down.
CAP is the group that was a major supporter of Arizona’s controversial religious rights bill, SB-1062. Governor Brewer vetoed that bill on Wednesday.
Thirty members of the group “Citizens for a Better Arizona” showed up at the center’s offices in Phoenix before the veto on Wednesday afternoon. They were demanding an apology from CAP President Cathi Herrod for supporting the bill.
“She’s the puppeteer behind SB-1062,” said Beto Soto, the field director for Citizens For A Better Arizona. “She’s the one that needs to be held accountable. She’s been hurting Arizona, and she is a super lobbyist.”
Soto is also demanding that CAP close its doors. “Arizona legislators need to understand that Cathi Herrod is no longer welcome in our state. Her values are not compatible with Arizona, and that stops here,” he said.
He claimed that Herrod’s views are out of touch with Arizona.
“We are no longer the state of 1070. This is no longer the state of Russell Pearce,” said Soto. “We are moving forward in Arizona, and 1062 is moving backwards.
Russell Pearce is the former Arizona State Senator who co-wrote SB-1070, Arizona’s controversial immigration bill.
Soto’s group were met by security officers who did not allow them to enter. When the group put up caution tape and taped several protest signs to the office window, the guards then ordered them to get off of the property.
Soto says they’ll be back Thursday afternoon at 1 p.m.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon