PHOENIX — Triple-A Arizona has a warning for parents using a certain type of child car seat.
According to the motor and travel organization, the National Transportation Highway Safety Administration announced this week a revision to the way lower-anchor and tether child car seats are labeled for weight restrictions.
“As of right now, the labeling for car seats shows the restrictions in regards to the child’s weight only,” said Mike Duhame, community relations specialist for Triple-A Arizona said.
Duhame said that could be causing people to put their kids at risk by unwittingly using car seats that are above the weight limit.
For example, parents and caregivers could be putting a 50-pound child in a seat rated for 60 pounds, without realizing the weight of the chair added to the weight of the child could then push them over the maximum weight limit.
“We want to make sure that parents and caregivers are aware that when they use a lower anchor, also known as the LATCH system, which includes the lower-anchor and the tether, that they’re taking into consideration the weight of the seat,” Duhame said. “They might be actually, unknowingly, putting a child at risk.”
According to Triple-A, 85 percent of Child Passenger Safety Technicians have encountered LATCH child car seats that exceeded the labeled weight recommendation.
Duhame added that if parents are unsure whether they are safely using their car seat, to visit a safety technician to ensure they have the correct seat and it is being properly used.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food