PHOENIX — Arizona representatives of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest LGBT civil rights organization, hand-delivered 63,000 signatures to Gov. Brewer’s office Wednesday asking her to veto Senate Bill 1062.
The group’s David Martinez said the bill doesn’t represent the true nature of Arizonans, especially the faith community.
“We know that in Arizona we already have robust protections granted by the state and U.S. Constitution for freedom of religion,” he said. “And this is clearly a bill that would legalize discrimination.
The group also included a letter to the governor from around 50 Arizona religious leaders, a portion of which read, “freedom of religion does not give businesses the right to discriminate.”
The 63,000 signatures are from members of the human rights campaign from around the country, with 5,000 coming from Arizona residents.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets