PHOENIX — The National Football League is reportedly considering moving the 2015 Super Bowl amid concerns over Senate Bill 1062, which would permit businesses to deny services to gays and others based on religious beliefs.
According to Sports Illustrated, a source said the league may move the game if SB 1062 becomes law.
“It’s a big undertaking and one the league would very much like to avoid,” the source said. “It’d be incredibly logistically challenging to pull it off and no one’s even sure if it’s possible. Some expert would have to make a decision on that at some point, but the game’s going to be played somewhere next year.”
Both the NFL and Arizona Cardinals have publicly denounced the bill.
The final decision would come down to the team owners, who would have to vote to move the game away.
Arizona previously had the 1993 Super Bowl taken away after the state voted down an effort to recognize Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a holiday.
Earlier this week, Arizona Democratic House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said SB 1062 could affect the status of the Super Bowl in Glendale.
“I think that the sports community is going to start looking at this and take a serious second look at whether or not they actually want to have the biggest sporting event in the world hosted in a state that is openly promoting, bigotry and discrimination,” Campbell said, adding that bill really makes the state look bad.
The NFL was also reportedly considering moving the Pro Bowl to Arizona on Tuesday as a way to raise the game’s profile.
KTAR’s Corbin Carson contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon