PHOENIX — The National Football League is reportedly considering moving the 2015 Super Bowl amid concerns over Senate Bill 1062, which would permit businesses to deny services to gays and others based on religious beliefs.
According to Sports Illustrated, a source said the league may move the game if SB 1062 becomes law.
“It’s a big undertaking and one the league would very much like to avoid,” the source said. “It’d be incredibly logistically challenging to pull it off and no one’s even sure if it’s possible. Some expert would have to make a decision on that at some point, but the game’s going to be played somewhere next year.”
Both the NFL and Arizona Cardinals have publicly denounced the bill.
The final decision would come down to the team owners, who would have to vote to move the game away.
Arizona previously had the 1993 Super Bowl taken away after the state voted down an effort to recognize Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a holiday.
Earlier this week, Arizona Democratic House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said SB 1062 could affect the status of the Super Bowl in Glendale.
“I think that the sports community is going to start looking at this and take a serious second look at whether or not they actually want to have the biggest sporting event in the world hosted in a state that is openly promoting, bigotry and discrimination,” Campbell said, adding that bill really makes the state look bad.
The NFL was also reportedly considering moving the Pro Bowl to Arizona on Tuesday as a way to raise the game’s profile.
KTAR’s Corbin Carson contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier