PHOENIX — The National Football League is reportedly considering moving the 2015 Super Bowl amid concerns over Senate Bill 1062, which would permit businesses to deny services to gays and others based on religious beliefs.
According to Sports Illustrated, a source said the league may move the game if SB 1062 becomes law.
“It’s a big undertaking and one the league would very much like to avoid,” the source said. “It’d be incredibly logistically challenging to pull it off and no one’s even sure if it’s possible. Some expert would have to make a decision on that at some point, but the game’s going to be played somewhere next year.”
Both the NFL and Arizona Cardinals have publicly denounced the bill.
The final decision would come down to the team owners, who would have to vote to move the game away.
Arizona previously had the 1993 Super Bowl taken away after the state voted down an effort to recognize Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a holiday.
Earlier this week, Arizona Democratic House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said SB 1062 could affect the status of the Super Bowl in Glendale.
“I think that the sports community is going to start looking at this and take a serious second look at whether or not they actually want to have the biggest sporting event in the world hosted in a state that is openly promoting, bigotry and discrimination,” Campbell said, adding that bill really makes the state look bad.
The NFL was also reportedly considering moving the Pro Bowl to Arizona on Tuesday as a way to raise the game’s profile.
KTAR’s Corbin Carson contributed to this report.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain