SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The lights were on before dawn at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick to show off what sports website Stadium Journeys calls the 22nd-best stadium in America.
The grass has been freshly cut and the smell of baseball is in the air. More than a few people will likely be calling their the boss Wednesday to say that they’re under the weather as the Arizona Diamondbacks kick off 2014 spring training at home against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Josh Rawitch with the Diamondbacks said remaining tickets are limited. First pitch is 1:10 p.m.
“Just about every game is going to be at capacity and that’s what’s unique about spring training. It is not in a 48,000-seat stadium, it’s more in the 10,000 to 12,000 range,” he said.
Spring training brings new hope for the team and for pitcher Archie Bradley, who is trying to make the opening day roster for the first time. He knows it will be tough competition to land one of five spots in the starting rotation.
“I’m going to stick to my routine and do what I have always done,” Bradley said. “I’m going to go out there and pitch and that’s all I can control.”
The Diamondbacks will travel to Mesa on Thursday to face the Chicago Cubs at their new stadium.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them