SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The lights were on before dawn at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick to show off what sports website Stadium Journeys calls the 22nd-best stadium in America.
The grass has been freshly cut and the smell of baseball is in the air. More than a few people will likely be calling their the boss Wednesday to say that they’re under the weather as the Arizona Diamondbacks kick off 2014 spring training at home against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Josh Rawitch with the Diamondbacks said remaining tickets are limited. First pitch is 1:10 p.m.
“Just about every game is going to be at capacity and that’s what’s unique about spring training. It is not in a 48,000-seat stadium, it’s more in the 10,000 to 12,000 range,” he said.
Spring training brings new hope for the team and for pitcher Archie Bradley, who is trying to make the opening day roster for the first time. He knows it will be tough competition to land one of five spots in the starting rotation.
“I’m going to stick to my routine and do what I have always done,” Bradley said. “I’m going to go out there and pitch and that’s all I can control.”
The Diamondbacks will travel to Mesa on Thursday to face the Chicago Cubs at their new stadium.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier