PHOENIX — As more public figures continue to come out in support or opposition of Senate Bill 1062, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is being as tight-lipped on the issue as Gov. Jan Brewer herself.
On Tuesday morning, Arpaio was spotted walking near the front lawn of the State Capitol building just minutes before a group of Latino activists gathered to show their opposition and to urge Brewer to veto the highly controversial bill.
When asked about the issue, Arpaio would not say what his thoughts are.
“I have no opinion right now, I haven’t studied it,” he said. “If I was running for governor or if I was governor I would face it.”
Arpaio even down played the kind of influence his opinion would have on the matter.
“I’m an influence to the governor? I’m a lone ranger, I’m the sheriff,” he said.
Arpaio hinted once again at rumors circulating about a possible campaign for the governorship and how he would enjoy tackling issues such as SB 1062.
“It would be exciting, because I love challenges,” he said. “I wish I was the governor right now. It’d be a great challenge.”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain