PHOENIX — As more public figures continue to come out in support or opposition of Senate Bill 1062, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is being as tight-lipped on the issue as Gov. Jan Brewer herself.
On Tuesday morning, Arpaio was spotted walking near the front lawn of the State Capitol building just minutes before a group of Latino activists gathered to show their opposition and to urge Brewer to veto the highly controversial bill.
When asked about the issue, Arpaio would not say what his thoughts are.
“I have no opinion right now, I haven’t studied it,” he said. “If I was running for governor or if I was governor I would face it.”
Arpaio even down played the kind of influence his opinion would have on the matter.
“I’m an influence to the governor? I’m a lone ranger, I’m the sheriff,” he said.
Arpaio hinted once again at rumors circulating about a possible campaign for the governorship and how he would enjoy tackling issues such as SB 1062.
“It would be exciting, because I love challenges,” he said. “I wish I was the governor right now. It’d be a great challenge.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier