PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has until the end of business hours Saturday to decide the fate of Senate Bill 1062 but likely will veto the measure by Thursday or Friday, according to NBC News.
She told CNN on Monday night, “I will do the right thing for the state of Arizona.”
Brewer’s longtime political consultant Chuck Coughlin told NBC, “It’s been her proclivity in the past to focus on the priorities she wants them [the legislature] to accomplish, and this was clearly not part of her agenda.”
Brewer is scheduled to return to Phoenix on Tuesday afternoon. She had been in Washington at the National Governors Association but that hasn’t stopped requests to her office to veto the bill.
City, state and business leaders who opposed the bill, which would allow a business to refuse service to gays and other based on religious beliefs, have called the measure discriminatory and embarrassing and that in all likelihood it would affect state tourism.
The Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee issued a statement that it did not support the bill. Glendale will host the Super Bowl next year.
Other businesses have also expressed a negative opinion of the bill.
NBC quoted an unnamed source who said the governor wouldn’t want to do anything that would hurt the state’s economic recovery.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy