PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has until the end of business hours Saturday to decide the fate of Senate Bill 1062 but likely will veto the measure by Thursday or Friday, according to NBC News.
She told CNN on Monday night, “I will do the right thing for the state of Arizona.”
Brewer’s longtime political consultant Chuck Coughlin told NBC, “It’s been her proclivity in the past to focus on the priorities she wants them [the legislature] to accomplish, and this was clearly not part of her agenda.”
Brewer is scheduled to return to Phoenix on Tuesday afternoon. She had been in Washington at the National Governors Association but that hasn’t stopped requests to her office to veto the bill.
City, state and business leaders who opposed the bill, which would allow a business to refuse service to gays and other based on religious beliefs, have called the measure discriminatory and embarrassing and that in all likelihood it would affect state tourism.
The Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee issued a statement that it did not support the bill. Glendale will host the Super Bowl next year.
Other businesses have also expressed a negative opinion of the bill.
NBC quoted an unnamed source who said the governor wouldn’t want to do anything that would hurt the state’s economic recovery.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier