PHOENIX — The city might want to start stockpiling red, white and blue balloons: Phoenix could host both the Republican and Democratic national conventions in 2016.
The Arizona Republican Party confirmed that a committee led by former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl submitted a bid Tuesday to host the 2016 national convention. Meanwhile a spokeswoman for the Democratic National Committee said that Phoenix was on the list of over two dozen cities contacted about possibly hosting its convention.
Deadline for submission for the Republicans is Wednesday. Democrats have until Saturday.
The Valley was a finalist to host the RNC two years ago.
“It’s larger than the Super Bowl, economically, but smaller than the Olympics. Anytime a city can be selected for this type of convention, it’s great for all of the citizens of Arizona,” State Party Chairman Robert Graham said.
Graham said Tampa collected almost $200 million in direct spending when it hosted the 2012 convention.
Denver formally put in its GOP bid Monday.
Other cities under consideration include Las Vegas and Dallas.
A decision is expected to be made in August.
CNN reported that the DNC wants the convention site to have union ties, be able seat up to 25,000 and also required the area to have almost 20,000 hotel rooms.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes