PHOENIX — The city might want to start stockpiling red, white and blue balloons: Phoenix could host both the Republican and Democratic national conventions in 2016.
The Arizona Republican Party confirmed that a committee led by former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl submitted a bid Tuesday to host the 2016 national convention. Meanwhile a spokeswoman for the Democratic National Committee said that Phoenix was on the list of over two dozen cities contacted about possibly hosting its convention.
Deadline for submission for the Republicans is Wednesday. Democrats have until Saturday.
The Valley was a finalist to host the RNC two years ago.
“It’s larger than the Super Bowl, economically, but smaller than the Olympics. Anytime a city can be selected for this type of convention, it’s great for all of the citizens of Arizona,” State Party Chairman Robert Graham said.
Graham said Tampa collected almost $200 million in direct spending when it hosted the 2012 convention.
Denver formally put in its GOP bid Monday.
Other cities under consideration include Las Vegas and Dallas.
A decision is expected to be made in August.
CNN reported that the DNC wants the convention site to have union ties, be able seat up to 25,000 and also required the area to have almost 20,000 hotel rooms.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon