PHOENIX — The city might want to start stockpiling red, white and blue balloons: Phoenix could host both the Republican and Democratic national conventions in 2016.
The Arizona Republican Party confirmed that a committee led by former U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl submitted a bid Tuesday to host the 2016 national convention. Meanwhile a spokeswoman for the Democratic National Committee said that Phoenix was on the list of over two dozen cities contacted about possibly hosting its convention.
Deadline for submission for the Republicans is Wednesday. Democrats have until Saturday.
The Valley was a finalist to host the RNC two years ago.
“It’s larger than the Super Bowl, economically, but smaller than the Olympics. Anytime a city can be selected for this type of convention, it’s great for all of the citizens of Arizona,” State Party Chairman Robert Graham said.
Graham said Tampa collected almost $200 million in direct spending when it hosted the 2012 convention.
Denver formally put in its GOP bid Monday.
Other cities under consideration include Las Vegas and Dallas.
A decision is expected to be made in August.
CNN reported that the DNC wants the convention site to have union ties, be able seat up to 25,000 and also required the area to have almost 20,000 hotel rooms.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths