PHOENIX — Valley economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said if Gov. Jan Brewer signed Senate Bill 1062 into law it will not bring major long-term damage to Arizona’s economy.
But that’s not to say Arizona won’t take a financial hit in lost tourism dollars.
“Arizona has a long history of weathering these political controversies. My concern is the short term. There will be protests,” Rounds said.
Rounds opposes SB 1062 and is calling on Brewer to veto it.
“We had to go through some of this with Senate Bill 1070 (illegal immigration law) and we weathered that fine, although some industries were impacted. But state lawmakers supporting SB 1062 should have known better than to make political statements with this bill.”
In the long run, Rounds said he’s not concerned about the impact to the state’s economy.
“We are at the cusp of accelerating our economic growth because of our tax policy and economic growth policy. But if 1062 is signed into law, we will be dealing with it for two to three years.
“This bill is not about economic growth as a handful of its supporters have implied. Many of them don’t understand how economics work,” Rounds said.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick