PHOENIX — While three Arizona senators who voted in favor of SB 1062 have now asked Gov. Jan Brewer to veto it, Arizona Sen. Al Melvin is still in favor of the bill.
Melvin joined “Anderson Cooper 360” for an interview Monday, who maintained the bill was in favor of religious freedom and not specifically anti-gay legislature.
When Cooper brought up that sexual orientation is already not included in Arizona’s anti-discriminatory legislature, Melvin appeared to evade the answer and instead, responded
that the bill is a preemptive one, meant to protect religious freedom, not be a means of discrimination.
Melvin was then asked if he knew of any instances where people’s religious beliefs were “being under attack.” Melvin said he did not, but added, “How about tomorrow?”
After a bit more back and forth, the senator appeared to grow flustered and frustrated with Cooper’s line of questioning, before delivering a response about the “pillars of society” being under attack.
“All of the pillars of society are under attack in the United States: The family, the traditional family, traditional marriage, mainline churches, the Boy Scouts, you name it,” Melvin said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier