PHOENIX — While three Arizona senators who voted in favor of SB 1062 have now asked Gov. Jan Brewer to veto it, Arizona Sen. Al Melvin is still in favor of the bill.
Melvin joined “Anderson Cooper 360” for an interview Monday, who maintained the bill was in favor of religious freedom and not specifically anti-gay legislature.
When Cooper brought up that sexual orientation is already not included in Arizona’s anti-discriminatory legislature, Melvin appeared to evade the answer and instead, responded
that the bill is a preemptive one, meant to protect religious freedom, not be a means of discrimination.
Melvin was then asked if he knew of any instances where people’s religious beliefs were “being under attack.” Melvin said he did not, but added, “How about tomorrow?”
After a bit more back and forth, the senator appeared to grow flustered and frustrated with Cooper’s line of questioning, before delivering a response about the “pillars of society” being under attack.
“All of the pillars of society are under attack in the United States: The family, the traditional family, traditional marriage, mainline churches, the Boy Scouts, you name it,” Melvin said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development