GLENDALE, Ariz. — Glendale now has five propane-powered police SUVs patrolling the streets.
The Chevrolet Tahoes are part of a gift of 18 patrol cars from the Gila River Indian community.
“The engines last longer, you have less wear and tear, your oil doesn’t get dirty as fast, plus the fact that propane is half the cost of gasoline,” said Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers. “Where’s the downside?”
The first five are already on patrol being tested, but Weiers feels it’s more of a formality.
“I’m not worried about the testing because I own a propane-powered vehicle that I’ve had for 14 years,” he said. “I know it works.”
The retro-fitted police Tahoes have similar performance and the ability to switch to gas at the flip of a switch.
“That’s where our real savings is is in the cost,” he said. “And if we can have a smaller carbon footprint and less pollutants in the air, the state wins…the citizens win.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon