PHOENIX — Move over, Fritos! The city of Phoenix wants healthy snacks in city-owned buildings.
Phoenix’s Marketing Partnership Program hopes to find a company to offer healthier choices at more than 300 vending machines at city parks, community centers and other buildings.
City spokesman Jon Brodsky said Phoenix will adopt the healthy vending standards set by Maricopa County.
“It says at least 50 percent of the foods or 50 percent of the beverages in the machines will follow those guidelines and be categorized as healthy and it gives people choices,” he said. “It’s not everything in the machine, there still are plenty of things in the machine that are not healthy, but at least people who do want to make a healthier choice do have that option.”
In addition to healthier choices, Brodsky said the citywide initiative will improve customer service at the machines, include a recycling component and generate cash for the general fund.
“Since this is the first time that we’re doing this we don’t have a specific number as to how much we think it will generate and that’s why we’re doing the request for proposal process to see what the companies have in mind, to see what some of their ideas are,” said Brodsky.
The program will not include vending machines at the Phoenix Convention Center or Sky Harbor International Airport as they have their own contracts.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development