PHOENIX — Move over, Fritos! The city of Phoenix wants healthy snacks in city-owned buildings.
Phoenix’s Marketing Partnership Program hopes to find a company to offer healthier choices at more than 300 vending machines at city parks, community centers and other buildings.
City spokesman Jon Brodsky said Phoenix will adopt the healthy vending standards set by Maricopa County.
“It says at least 50 percent of the foods or 50 percent of the beverages in the machines will follow those guidelines and be categorized as healthy and it gives people choices,” he said. “It’s not everything in the machine, there still are plenty of things in the machine that are not healthy, but at least people who do want to make a healthier choice do have that option.”
In addition to healthier choices, Brodsky said the citywide initiative will improve customer service at the machines, include a recycling component and generate cash for the general fund.
“Since this is the first time that we’re doing this we don’t have a specific number as to how much we think it will generate and that’s why we’re doing the request for proposal process to see what the companies have in mind, to see what some of their ideas are,” said Brodsky.
The program will not include vending machines at the Phoenix Convention Center or Sky Harbor International Airport as they have their own contracts.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.