PHOENIX – As the Great Recession gripped our state and country, Phoenix had 3,375 sworn police officers.
In 2014, the city has 2,878 officers and, by July 2015, the city projects a low of 2,765 officers, 113 fewer than 2014 and 610 fewer than in 2008.
In 2010, the city’s public safety budget was $47 million short. Increased pension costs for police and fire departments, negotiated raises in contracts and a drop in sales tax revenue contributed to the shortfall. Rather than layoff police and firefighters, city leaders instituted a hiring freeze and relied heavily on attrition, mostly people retiring.
According to a city council report, since 2000, staffing levels have increased approximately 9.4 percent for police and 24.8 percent for fire. During that same time, calls for police service have dropped by about 29 percent while fire calls have increased about 33 percent.
Phoenix expects to begin hiring new officers and firefighters in 2015. Slightly more than 100 new fire and police positions have been added in the last few years, thanks to federal grants.
The report, which will be reviewed by city council members this week, also found:
• Police have maintained a priority one response time of approximately five and a half minutes.
• The fire department’s response times have improved by approximately 10 seconds.
• Phoenix has 1.98 sworn officers per 1,000 residents.
• Phoenix has 1.08 sworn fire employees per 1,000 residents.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America