PHOENIX — Meghan McCain may be a Republican and raised by a Republican senator, but she is also an active, vocal supporter of gay rights, and she has voiced her opposition for SB 1062.
“It is embarrassing, it is backwards, it is the absolute last thing this state needs, and I am horrified, horrified at the legislators that passed that [bill],” McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday.
Calling the bill “absolute B.S.,” McCain said that it’s bills like this that make her ashamed of her beloved state.
“When you have bills like this, it makes me not want to come home,” McCain said. “I am born and raised in Arizona — [a] proud Arizonan — and my father is a senator there, and I just don’t understand.”
She also doesn’t understand why what seems to be a small group of people keep “co-opting the state” and speaking for it as a whole.
“What’s so bizarre is that Arizona really is turning quite purple. It logically could be a swing state in 2016,” McCain said. “I don’t understand why Arizona continues to be this Petri dish of right-wing conservatism.”
After all, McCain’s own father and Sen. Jeff Flake, (R-Ariz.), have publicly spoken out against the bill and “they’re both two conservative, Republican older men,” McCain added.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident