PHOENIX — Meghan McCain may be a Republican and raised by a Republican senator, but she is also an active, vocal supporter of gay rights, and she has voiced her opposition for SB 1062.
“It is embarrassing, it is backwards, it is the absolute last thing this state needs, and I am horrified, horrified at the legislators that passed that [bill],” McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday.
Calling the bill “absolute B.S.,” McCain said that it’s bills like this that make her ashamed of her beloved state.
“When you have bills like this, it makes me not want to come home,” McCain said. “I am born and raised in Arizona — [a] proud Arizonan — and my father is a senator there, and I just don’t understand.”
She also doesn’t understand why what seems to be a small group of people keep “co-opting the state” and speaking for it as a whole.
“What’s so bizarre is that Arizona really is turning quite purple. It logically could be a swing state in 2016,” McCain said. “I don’t understand why Arizona continues to be this Petri dish of right-wing conservatism.”
After all, McCain’s own father and Sen. Jeff Flake, (R-Ariz.), have publicly spoken out against the bill and “they’re both two conservative, Republican older men,” McCain added.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident