PHOENIX — Meghan McCain may be a Republican and raised by a Republican senator, but she is also an active, vocal supporter of gay rights, and she has voiced her opposition for SB 1062.
“It is embarrassing, it is backwards, it is the absolute last thing this state needs, and I am horrified, horrified at the legislators that passed that [bill],” McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday.
Calling the bill “absolute B.S.,” McCain said that it’s bills like this that make her ashamed of her beloved state.
“When you have bills like this, it makes me not want to come home,” McCain said. “I am born and raised in Arizona — [a] proud Arizonan — and my father is a senator there, and I just don’t understand.”
She also doesn’t understand why what seems to be a small group of people keep “co-opting the state” and speaking for it as a whole.
“What’s so bizarre is that Arizona really is turning quite purple. It logically could be a swing state in 2016,” McCain said. “I don’t understand why Arizona continues to be this Petri dish of right-wing conservatism.”
After all, McCain’s own father and Sen. Jeff Flake, (R-Ariz.), have publicly spoken out against the bill and “they’re both two conservative, Republican older men,” McCain added.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio