PHOENIX — After the weekly media meeting for House Democrats at the capitol Monday, Democratic House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said Senate Bill 1062 could affect the 2015 Super Bowl in Glendale, Ariz.
“I think that the sports community is going to start looking at this and take a serious second look at whether or not they actually want to have the biggest sporting event in the world hosted in a state that is openly promoting, bigotry and discrimination,” Campbell said, adding that bill really makes the state look bad.
Campbell went further, calling SB 1062 a “horrible bill.”
“Both morally and economically it is a horrible bill,” he said. “You’re talking about really putting a sign on the front door of Arizona saying ‘We don’t want a certain group of people here.'”
In a statement, the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee said it does not support SB 1062.
We share the NFL’s core values which embrace tolerance, diversity, inclusiveness and prohibit discrimination. In addition, a key part of the mission for the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee is to promote the economic vitality of Arizona. On that matter we have heard loud and clear from our various stakeholders that adoption of this legislation would not only run contrary to that goal but deal a significant blow to the state’s economic growth potential. We do not support this legislation. Instead, we look forward to continuing to promote the NFL’s values while focusing on the economic momentum apparent in Arizona and capturing the positive worldwide attention associated with hosting Super Bowl XLIX.
Campbell compared SB 1062 to Arizona not recognizing Martin Luther King, Jr. Day back in the 1990s.
“We have a history of the legislature passing bills that end up in court and then being tossed,” he said. “Senate Bill 1070 is another great example of that.”
SB 1062 would make it legal for a business to deny services on the basis of someone’s sexual orientation. Gov. Jan Brewer has until the close of business Saturday to sign it into law or veto it.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier