PHOENIX – When Fast Signs on Central owner Scott Koehler heard about SB 1062, he shook his head and then got to work.
On the side of his central Phoenix business, he posted a sign that stretches 12 by 30 feet urging Gov. Jan Brewer to veto the bill that would allow businesses to deny services based on religion.
“It’s causing people to look at Arizona in a bad light and it’s bad for business,” he said. “People aren’t going to want to come here, people aren’t going to want to spend their money here, if they think we are discriminating against a certain group.”
Koehler said it’s disheartening to hear friends from other states ask how such a bill made it to the governor’s desk, especially since he said he voted for the Republicans who voted for the bill.
“I’m certainly considering changing the way I vote,” he said. “I’m, you know, fiscally conservative but socially liberal and I think the majority of the population is that way.”
For now, he’s focused on handing out hundreds of free signs that people can post in their businesses that read, “Open for Business – for Everyone.” Koehler is working with One Community in Phoenix to distribute the signs.
On Monday morning, he said a business owner drove from Casa Grande to pick up signs.
“He’s not gay, I’m not gay, it’s not about that,” Koehler said. “It’s about we’re open for everyone. I hope the governor vetoes the bill and stops the bleeding at this point.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food