PHOENIX – When Fast Signs on Central owner Scott Koehler heard about SB 1062, he shook his head and then got to work.
On the side of his central Phoenix business, he posted a sign that stretches 12 by 30 feet urging Gov. Jan Brewer to veto the bill that would allow businesses to deny services based on religion.
“It’s causing people to look at Arizona in a bad light and it’s bad for business,” he said. “People aren’t going to want to come here, people aren’t going to want to spend their money here, if they think we are discriminating against a certain group.”
Koehler said it’s disheartening to hear friends from other states ask how such a bill made it to the governor’s desk, especially since he said he voted for the Republicans who voted for the bill.
“I’m certainly considering changing the way I vote,” he said. “I’m, you know, fiscally conservative but socially liberal and I think the majority of the population is that way.”
For now, he’s focused on handing out hundreds of free signs that people can post in their businesses that read, “Open for Business – for Everyone.” Koehler is working with One Community in Phoenix to distribute the signs.
On Monday morning, he said a business owner drove from Casa Grande to pick up signs.
“He’s not gay, I’m not gay, it’s not about that,” Koehler said. “It’s about we’re open for everyone. I hope the governor vetoes the bill and stops the bleeding at this point.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development