PHOENIX — A Hispanic group on a hunger strike to protest deportations was targeted by a hateful message on Friday.
An unknown person bought a burrito, wrote racial slurs on it and threw it at the group.
“He went out of his way, purchased a burrito and wrote on it,” said Carlos Garcia. “It says ‘Wetback, learn English. Wetback go back to Mexico.'”
Garcia, an immigration activist who is also part of PUENTE, said the message was repulsive.
“Most disturbing for me is that people think we are not human, not worth of being respected.”
Aside from the burrito message, Garcia said the hunger strike, in its second week, has been a peaceful affair. Several people are camped outside of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices in Phoenix. All have a loved one awaiting deportation at a facility in Eloy. Those people are also on a hunger strike.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life