PHOENIX — A Hispanic group on a hunger strike to protest deportations was targeted by a hateful message on Friday.
An unknown person bought a burrito, wrote racial slurs on it and threw it at the group.
“He went out of his way, purchased a burrito and wrote on it,” said Carlos Garcia. “It says ‘Wetback, learn English. Wetback go back to Mexico.'”
Garcia, an immigration activist who is also part of PUENTE, said the message was repulsive.
“Most disturbing for me is that people think we are not human, not worth of being respected.”
Aside from the burrito message, Garcia said the hunger strike, in its second week, has been a peaceful affair. Several people are camped outside of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices in Phoenix. All have a loved one awaiting deportation at a facility in Eloy. Those people are also on a hunger strike.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas