PHOENIX — An effort to bring back Arizona’s office of film back after its 2009 closure is currently on hold at the state capitol.
The film bill would reopen the state’s film office for just over $600,000 per year, but Valley filmmaker Randy Murray Murray said there seems to be an anti-Hollywood sentiment in Arizona.
“It’s spilling over to hard-working folks in Arizona who don’t deserve that,” he said. “It’s a clean industry, pays well and there’s no reason we shouldn’t have a film industry in Arizona.”
Murray said state Sen. Gail Griffin from southern Arizona has put a hold on the bill, at least temporarily. If the hold were lifted and the bill passed, the state would likely see an influx of millions of dollars.
“Having a strong film community here is better for the state than having Apple or Intel here,” said Murray. “These are great jobs that create more jobs. Intel is a great company but they’re affecting schools in the East Valley but film companies spread the wealth around a showoff our state. It’s bad business to say no to them.”
Murray said he’s holding out hope the film bill will eventually be passed.
Hundreds of Hollywood classics have been filmed in Arizona including countless westerns, “Raising Arizona,”
“Star Wars” and many others.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them