PHOENIX — If Gov. Jan Brewer signs Senate Bill 1062, the service refusal bill, into law, one Valley attorney is afraid Arizona could face several legal challenges.
“For example, a taxi cab driver who may be Muslim may refuse to give service to a woman who may be traveling without a male companion, in violation of their religious law,” Scottsdale attorney Jon Frutkin said. “As it exists now, that cab driver can’t discriminate against that passenger, and perhaps after 1062, you’re going to have a bunch of court cases that will cost taxpayers a lot of money to find out whether or not it allows for discrimination on other protected classes.”
Protected classes, under current Arizona law, include religion, races, ethnicity, gender and age. Absent from that list are gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.
Frutkin calls SB 1062 symbolic because business owners can already refuse to do business with them.
“There is no law in Arizona that prohibits people from refusing service based on their LGBT status,” Frutkin said.
If SB 1062 becomes law, Frutkin fears it would come into conflict with current state law that bans discrimination based on religion, race, ethnicity, gender and age.
“I think that if the governor doesn’t sign it, it’s really a victory, both for taxpayers who won’t have to spend an enormous amount of money fighting the constitutionality of it in court and a victory for business owners who like to present Arizona as a great community,” said Frutkin.
From a practical perspective, Frutkin added, a veto is also a symbolic victory for members of the LGBT community.
“You cannot refuse to allow somebody, for example, to stay at your hotel, to eat in your restaurant because they are a woman, because they are Muslim, because they are Hispanic. Those are protected classes,” he said. “The LGBT community enjoys that sort of protection in certain states, like California and New Mexico, but Arizona has no laws that prohibit discrimination with respect to them.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food