PHOENIX — A former Arizona Diamondbacks hero is now working to get people to eat healthier.
Outfielder Steve Finley was a major part of the D-backs team that won the World Series over the New York Yankees in 2001. His major league baseball career spanned over 15 seasons and ended when he was 41 years old.
He credits healthy eating for his longevity.
“The food we put into our bodies is going to dictate how we’re going to be able to mentally focus and physically handle the exertion we have to put out on the field,” Finley said.
The former slugger is now on the board of directors for San Diego-based Fresh Healthy Vending. The company provides healthy snack options in hundreds of 3-D interactive vending machines across the country.
The machines are filled with a wide variety of food types.
“Protein bars, protein shakes, yogurts — in some of them — and healthier drinks. There’s no more soda,” he said.
Finley said his goal is to use his position is to encourage young people to eat healthier and combat childhood obesity.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night