PHOENIX — A former Arizona Diamondbacks hero is now working to get people to eat healthier.
Outfielder Steve Finley was a major part of the D-backs team that won the World Series over the New York Yankees in 2001. His major league baseball career spanned over 15 seasons and ended when he was 41 years old.
He credits healthy eating for his longevity.
“The food we put into our bodies is going to dictate how we’re going to be able to mentally focus and physically handle the exertion we have to put out on the field,” Finley said.
The former slugger is now on the board of directors for San Diego-based Fresh Healthy Vending. The company provides healthy snack options in hundreds of 3-D interactive vending machines across the country.
The machines are filled with a wide variety of food types.
“Protein bars, protein shakes, yogurts — in some of them — and healthier drinks. There’s no more soda,” he said.
Finley said his goal is to use his position is to encourage young people to eat healthier and combat childhood obesity.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier