PHOENIX — A former Arizona Diamondbacks hero is now working to get people to eat healthier.
Outfielder Steve Finley was a major part of the D-backs team that won the World Series over the New York Yankees in 2001. His major league baseball career spanned over 15 seasons and ended when he was 41 years old.
He credits healthy eating for his longevity.
“The food we put into our bodies is going to dictate how we’re going to be able to mentally focus and physically handle the exertion we have to put out on the field,” Finley said.
The former slugger is now on the board of directors for San Diego-based Fresh Healthy Vending. The company provides healthy snack options in hundreds of 3-D interactive vending machines across the country.
The machines are filled with a wide variety of food types.
“Protein bars, protein shakes, yogurts — in some of them — and healthier drinks. There’s no more soda,” he said.
Finley said his goal is to use his position is to encourage young people to eat healthier and combat childhood obesity.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development