PHOENIX — A former Arizona Diamondbacks hero is now working to get people to eat healthier.
Outfielder Steve Finley was a major part of the D-backs team that won the World Series over the New York Yankees in 2001. His major league baseball career spanned over 15 seasons and ended when he was 41 years old.
He credits healthy eating for his longevity.
“The food we put into our bodies is going to dictate how we’re going to be able to mentally focus and physically handle the exertion we have to put out on the field,” Finley said.
The former slugger is now on the board of directors for San Diego-based Fresh Healthy Vending. The company provides healthy snack options in hundreds of 3-D interactive vending machines across the country.
The machines are filled with a wide variety of food types.
“Protein bars, protein shakes, yogurts — in some of them — and healthier drinks. There’s no more soda,” he said.
Finley said his goal is to use his position is to encourage young people to eat healthier and combat childhood obesity.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy