PHOENIX — The group that helped to draft Arizona’s SB 1062, which is being called the “Right to Refuse Service Bill,” says it wants to dispel some myths that are being spread about the legislation.
The bill was drafted after a New Mexico photographer was sued when she refused to photograph a same-sex wedding.
“The same-sex couple was trying to use the force of government to require Elaine Photography to use her artistic expression, her free speech, to celebrate a same-sex wedding — something that she had religious beliefs about,” said Aaron Baer of the Center for Arizona Policy.
Baer talked about the bill Saturday during an appearance on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” with Bob McClay and Becky Lynn.
When asked if SB 1062 is an “anti-gay” bill, Baer responded, “Absolutely not.”
But opponents fear that if the bill becomes law, companies could discriminate by refusing service to gay people, African-Americans or anyone they want. Baer said that’s not going to happen.
“If we would have seen any of these crazy hypothetical things happening, we would have seen them happen already,” Baer said. “This law has been on the federal books since 1993, and in Arizona since 1999. If these things would happen, or could happen, they would be happening. But they’re not!”
Baer said that the legislation is needed because judges around the country are ignoring the current law and persecuting people of faith.
Opponents also say that passing the bill will mean another “black eye” for Arizona’s public relations.
“The reality is that if Arizona has a public relations problem or anything because of this bill, it’s not because of what the bill actually does. It’s not because of the supporters of the bill,” Baer said. “It’s because of the lies and the misinformation put out about the bill from the bill’s opponents.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy