PHOENIX — A Phoenix man thinks he’s found his big break in show business.
Josh McDermitt started in Phoenix radio at age 14 and later did stand-up comedy, making it to the semifinals as a contestant for NBC’s “Last Comic Standing.”
He has now joined the cast of AMC’s popular television series “The Walking Dead.” The drama is based on the comic book series of the same name. It follows a group of survivors finding their way in a post-apocalyptic world that is dominated by zombies. The show is in its fourth season, and has already been picked up for a fifth.
McDermitt talked about his role in the show during a live interview Saturday on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” with Becky Lynn and Bob McClay.
“‘The Walking Dead’ was my favorite show. I never even thought I would get an audition, let alone get on it. When it came around, I went nuts,” he said.
He plays Dr. Eugene Porter. The character was first seen last week, and will have a bigger role in the upcoming episode.
“We showed up in the last episode with Abraham Ford and Rosita Espinoza. We’re kind of like a trio traveling. In the comics, they’re trying to get Eugene to Washington, D.C.,” McDermitt said. “Up to this point, no one on the show knows what caused the zombie outbreak. Eugene shows up and says, ‘I not only know what caused it, but also what’s going to stop it.’
“This is going to kind of give some hope to people. Right now, they’ve just been trying to survive, not just against the zombies, but surviving from each other.”
“The Walking Dead” airs on Sunday nights on AMC. Its most recent episode garnered more than 13 million viewers, beating out the NBA All-Star Game that was broadcast the same evening.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development