PHOENIX — A Phoenix man thinks he’s found his big break in show business.
Josh McDermitt started in Phoenix radio at age 14 and later did stand-up comedy, making it to the semifinals as a contestant for NBC’s “Last Comic Standing.”
He has now joined the cast of AMC’s popular television series “The Walking Dead.” The drama is based on the comic book series of the same name. It follows a group of survivors finding their way in a post-apocalyptic world that is dominated by zombies. The show is in its fourth season, and has already been picked up for a fifth.
McDermitt talked about his role in the show during a live interview Saturday on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” with Becky Lynn and Bob McClay.
“‘The Walking Dead’ was my favorite show. I never even thought I would get an audition, let alone get on it. When it came around, I went nuts,” he said.
He plays Dr. Eugene Porter. The character was first seen last week, and will have a bigger role in the upcoming episode.
“We showed up in the last episode with Abraham Ford and Rosita Espinoza. We’re kind of like a trio traveling. In the comics, they’re trying to get Eugene to Washington, D.C.,” McDermitt said. “Up to this point, no one on the show knows what caused the zombie outbreak. Eugene shows up and says, ‘I not only know what caused it, but also what’s going to stop it.’
“This is going to kind of give some hope to people. Right now, they’ve just been trying to survive, not just against the zombies, but surviving from each other.”
“The Walking Dead” airs on Sunday nights on AMC. Its most recent episode garnered more than 13 million viewers, beating out the NBA All-Star Game that was broadcast the same evening.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food