PHOENIX — A Chandler, Ariz. man who won $1 million in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing has stepped forward, the Arizona Lottery said Friday.
Alvin Yazzie was the lucky person who picked up three Powerball tickets, one a second-place winner, at the Circle K at 7351 W. Chandler Blvd. before the drawing.
Yazzie, an electrician, said he regularly plays lottery games, but has never won anything like this.
“I’ve played scratchers and only won maybe like $30,” he said. “I was kind of happy with that, but this is $1 million, so I’m pretty excited.”
He said he didn’t think he won anything after hearing the $425 million
Powerball jackpot winning ticket was sold in California.
It wasn’t until Yazzie checked his ticket online that he realized he had won $1
Yazzie laughed when he said he checked the numbers over and over to make sure he actually won. He said he plans to pay some bills and take his wife to Hawaii to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
He’ll get about $700,000 after taxes.
Lottery officials said it’s the 30th time that someone in Arizona has won a $1
million second-place Powerball prize.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates