PHOENIX — A Chandler, Ariz. man who won $1 million in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing has stepped forward, the Arizona Lottery said Friday.
Alvin Yazzie was the lucky person who picked up three Powerball tickets, one a second-place winner, at the Circle K at 7351 W. Chandler Blvd. before the drawing.
Yazzie, an electrician, said he regularly plays lottery games, but has never won anything like this.
“I’ve played scratchers and only won maybe like $30,” he said. “I was kind of happy with that, but this is $1 million, so I’m pretty excited.”
He said he didn’t think he won anything after hearing the $425 million
Powerball jackpot winning ticket was sold in California.
It wasn’t until Yazzie checked his ticket online that he realized he had won $1
Yazzie laughed when he said he checked the numbers over and over to make sure he actually won. He said he plans to pay some bills and take his wife to Hawaii to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
He’ll get about $700,000 after taxes.
Lottery officials said it’s the 30th time that someone in Arizona has won a $1
million second-place Powerball prize.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees