PHOENIX — A Chandler, Ariz. man who won $1 million in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing has stepped forward, the Arizona Lottery said Friday.
Alvin Yazzie was the lucky person who picked up three Powerball tickets, one a second-place winner, at the Circle K at 7351 W. Chandler Blvd. before the drawing.
Yazzie, an electrician, said he regularly plays lottery games, but has never won anything like this.
“I’ve played scratchers and only won maybe like $30,” he said. “I was kind of happy with that, but this is $1 million, so I’m pretty excited.”
He said he didn’t think he won anything after hearing the $425 million
Powerball jackpot winning ticket was sold in California.
It wasn’t until Yazzie checked his ticket online that he realized he had won $1
Yazzie laughed when he said he checked the numbers over and over to make sure he actually won. He said he plans to pay some bills and take his wife to Hawaii to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
He’ll get about $700,000 after taxes.
Lottery officials said it’s the 30th time that someone in Arizona has won a $1
million second-place Powerball prize.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development