PHOENIX — A Chandler, Ariz. man who won $1 million in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing has stepped forward, the Arizona Lottery said Friday.
Alvin Yazzie was the lucky person who picked up three Powerball tickets, one a second-place winner, at the Circle K at 7351 W. Chandler Blvd. before the drawing.
Yazzie, an electrician, said he regularly plays lottery games, but has never won anything like this.
“I’ve played scratchers and only won maybe like $30,” he said. “I was kind of happy with that, but this is $1 million, so I’m pretty excited.”
He said he didn’t think he won anything after hearing the $425 million
Powerball jackpot winning ticket was sold in California.
It wasn’t until Yazzie checked his ticket online that he realized he had won $1
Yazzie laughed when he said he checked the numbers over and over to make sure he actually won. He said he plans to pay some bills and take his wife to Hawaii to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
He’ll get about $700,000 after taxes.
Lottery officials said it’s the 30th time that someone in Arizona has won a $1
million second-place Powerball prize.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them