PHOENIX — A Chandler, Ariz. man who won $1 million in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing has stepped forward, the Arizona Lottery said Friday.
Alvin Yazzie was the lucky person who picked up three Powerball tickets, one a second-place winner, at the Circle K at 7351 W. Chandler Blvd. before the drawing.
Yazzie, an electrician, said he regularly plays lottery games, but has never won anything like this.
“I’ve played scratchers and only won maybe like $30,” he said. “I was kind of happy with that, but this is $1 million, so I’m pretty excited.”
He said he didn’t think he won anything after hearing the $425 million
Powerball jackpot winning ticket was sold in California.
It wasn’t until Yazzie checked his ticket online that he realized he had won $1
Yazzie laughed when he said he checked the numbers over and over to make sure he actually won. He said he plans to pay some bills and take his wife to Hawaii to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
He’ll get about $700,000 after taxes.
Lottery officials said it’s the 30th time that someone in Arizona has won a $1
million second-place Powerball prize.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.