PHOENIX — Back in 1874, a man by the name of Charles Hayden founded Hayden Flour Mills in Tempe.
Hayden might be gone, but the special way he produced flour is being recreated by a local family-run business.
Jeff Zimmerman had a vision to bring back the purity of flour, offering an opportunity for consumers to enjoy a non-hybridized and minimally-processed product milled from a small nook behind a restaurant near downtown Phoenix.
“It’s like this edible history project,” said Emma Zimmerman. “We’re doing what Charles Hayden did back in 1874, but modernizing it. What you’re smelling is the smell of the field, it’s the smell of Arizona.”
The Zimmermans use one grain, among others, that was originally brought to the area by Jesuit missionaries. The grain, called White Sonora, disappeared for a time before being brought back about three seasons ago.
“We started growing in small quantities and growing the acreage,” said Emma. “Now this is our third season of planting, bringing it back here and milling it fresh to order.”
The smell, color and texture is significantly different than the flour sold in Valley grocery stores.
“It’s a creamy color, you see the whole grain, the bran, the germ. It’s sweet, like when you knead the dough, it just has a great texture and has a personality.”
No herbicides or pesticides are used and the appeal of it has reached forward-thinking local chefs like Chris Bianco and Mark Tarbell.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development