PHOENIX — Back in 1874, a man by the name of Charles Hayden founded Hayden Flour Mills in Tempe.
Hayden might be gone, but the special way he produced flour is being recreated by a local family-run business.
Jeff Zimmerman had a vision to bring back the purity of flour, offering an opportunity for consumers to enjoy a non-hybridized and minimally-processed product milled from a small nook behind a restaurant near downtown Phoenix.
“It’s like this edible history project,” said Emma Zimmerman. “We’re doing what Charles Hayden did back in 1874, but modernizing it. What you’re smelling is the smell of the field, it’s the smell of Arizona.”
The Zimmermans use one grain, among others, that was originally brought to the area by Jesuit missionaries. The grain, called White Sonora, disappeared for a time before being brought back about three seasons ago.
“We started growing in small quantities and growing the acreage,” said Emma. “Now this is our third season of planting, bringing it back here and milling it fresh to order.”
The smell, color and texture is significantly different than the flour sold in Valley grocery stores.
“It’s a creamy color, you see the whole grain, the bran, the germ. It’s sweet, like when you knead the dough, it just has a great texture and has a personality.”
No herbicides or pesticides are used and the appeal of it has reached forward-thinking local chefs like Chris Bianco and Mark Tarbell.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier