PHOENIX — Back in 1874, a man by the name of Charles Hayden founded Hayden Flour Mills in Tempe.
Hayden might be gone, but the special way he produced flour is being recreated by a local family-run business.
Jeff Zimmerman had a vision to bring back the purity of flour, offering an opportunity for consumers to enjoy a non-hybridized and minimally-processed product milled from a small nook behind a restaurant near downtown Phoenix.
“It’s like this edible history project,” said Emma Zimmerman. “We’re doing what Charles Hayden did back in 1874, but modernizing it. What you’re smelling is the smell of the field, it’s the smell of Arizona.”
The Zimmermans use one grain, among others, that was originally brought to the area by Jesuit missionaries. The grain, called White Sonora, disappeared for a time before being brought back about three seasons ago.
“We started growing in small quantities and growing the acreage,” said Emma. “Now this is our third season of planting, bringing it back here and milling it fresh to order.”
The smell, color and texture is significantly different than the flour sold in Valley grocery stores.
“It’s a creamy color, you see the whole grain, the bran, the germ. It’s sweet, like when you knead the dough, it just has a great texture and has a personality.”
No herbicides or pesticides are used and the appeal of it has reached forward-thinking local chefs like Chris Bianco and Mark Tarbell.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food