PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns are one of the biggest surprises in the NBA this season.
Because of that, they’ve drawn a lot of buzz around the Valley. Team president Jason Rowley said the Suns have had a 16 percent increase in attendance over the last 10 games compared to earlier in the season.
“Our guys are just so exciting to watch. People who have come out to games, want to come back,” he said. “You’re seeing that repeat business coming back into the arena, which is great for the team.”
Rowley added that the Suns also have the fourth-biggest increase in TV ratings from last season to this season. They trail only the Indian Pacers, Portland Trailblazers and the New Orleans Pelicans.
Going into Friday’s game against San Antonio, the Suns are 32-21 and are sixth in the Western Conference. Most experts predicted the team to finish last in the West.
“Everybody likes an underdog story,” Rowley said. “Even though we thought we were going to be better than most people gave us credit for at the beginning of the season, I think everyone would agree that this team has come together in a very, very special way.”
The team hopes to continue the momentum with their game on Sunday, when the team will recognize the 20th anniversary of the spectacular Kevin Johnson dunk over Hakeem Olajuwon with the Houston Rockets. Kevin Johnson will be on hand at the game to speak at halftime, and the team will give away a limited number of posters, some of which will be signed by KJ himself.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain