PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns are one of the biggest surprises in the NBA this season.
Because of that, they’ve drawn a lot of buzz around the Valley. Team president Jason Rowley said the Suns have had a 16 percent increase in attendance over the last 10 games compared to earlier in the season.
“Our guys are just so exciting to watch. People who have come out to games, want to come back,” he said. “You’re seeing that repeat business coming back into the arena, which is great for the team.”
Rowley added that the Suns also have the fourth-biggest increase in TV ratings from last season to this season. They trail only the Indian Pacers, Portland Trailblazers and the New Orleans Pelicans.
Going into Friday’s game against San Antonio, the Suns are 32-21 and are sixth in the Western Conference. Most experts predicted the team to finish last in the West.
“Everybody likes an underdog story,” Rowley said. “Even though we thought we were going to be better than most people gave us credit for at the beginning of the season, I think everyone would agree that this team has come together in a very, very special way.”
The team hopes to continue the momentum with their game on Sunday, when the team will recognize the 20th anniversary of the spectacular Kevin Johnson dunk over Hakeem Olajuwon with the Houston Rockets. Kevin Johnson will be on hand at the game to speak at halftime, and the team will give away a limited number of posters, some of which will be signed by KJ himself.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever