PHOENIX — This week marks the 25th anniversary of a comedy cult classic filmed in the Phoenix area.
Strange things were afoot, indeed, during filming of “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.”
The movie, released in 1989, was filmed in the Valley two years before. Coronado High School in Scottsdale served as the San Dimas, Calif., school where the titular characters were students. The auditorium at Coronado was torn down years ago but the mosaic, visible in the opening scene when the goofball duo leaves campus, was saved and moved to the new auditorium.
Other Valley locations included AMF Tempe Villages Lanes bowling alley, Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix, which served as the San Dimas mall and the Circle K at Hardy Drive and Southern Avenue in Tempe was the site where the movie’s plot develops.
Bill (Alex Winters) and Ted (Keanu Reeves) ask strangers for help with their history assignment when Rufus (George Carlin) arrives in a time-traveling phone booth. From there Bill and Ted decide to gather up historical figures for their report and off they go, meeting Billy the Kid, Lincoln, Napoleon and many others, along the way.
Valley filmmaker Randy Murray said although the film isn’t “Gone with the Wind”, “The Wizard of Oz” or any other cinematic classic, it certainly was worthwhile because it was fun.
“It was a movie that humanized a small group in the community, making the surfer dude somebody we like. We have all these subcultures that we shun or embrace. This movie changed how we perceive them,” Murray said.
The Valley embraced the movie, he said,
“That was special. It hit a nerve. We look back 25 years ago and it was fun,” Murray said.
“Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” was also a money maker. Production costs were $10 million but the box- office return was $40 million.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier