PHOENIX — Many Arizonans are divided over a bill passed by the state Legislature that would allow businesses to deny service to gays and others based on religious beliefs.
The debate will surely continue even after its possible signing by Gov. Jan Brewer, but one Tucson pizzeria has already made its opinion of the bill known on Twitter.
As a longtime employer and feeder of the gay community, Rocco's reserves the right to eject any State Senators we see fit to kick out…
— Rocco's Pizzeria (@tucsonpizza) February 20, 2014
The state Senate was the first to pass the measure.
The bill has hit a nerve in the gay rights community, with some claiming the bill would allow doctors to run away gays.
Proponents of the bill said it is not about discrimination, but practicing religious freedom.
Brewer doesn’t comment on pending legislation, but she vetoed a similar measure last year. That action, however, came during an unrelated political standoff, and it’s not clear whether she would support or reject this plan.
The bill is currently on Brewer’s desk.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain