It’s advancing, just like you knew it would; the bill from Chandler Legislator Steve Yarbrough.
It’s called the Right to Refuse Service bill. Sounds like a real empowering thing, doesn’t it?
I remember vividly walking into the True Value Hardware store in my hometown. It was the 1970s and sometimes I got to go in with Dad.
It was right there on Robin Hood street. It smelled like gasoline and gumballs, which was oddly a fantastic combination.
The guys that ran that store were awesome. They always remembered your name and they asked you about how you liked that new set of wiper blades or screen door.
In the window of that store was a sign. I remember reading it.
It said “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.”
I assumed that meant that if a customer was abusive, the clerk could ask him to leave. Those were polite times, weren’t they?
I never saw anyone refused service but it was nice to know that there was a sign in the window, informing that potentially impolite guy who DIDN’T like his new screen door, ‘We reserve the right to not deal with you.”
Here in Arizona, in 2014, it’s a different world and we have a law passed by the Legislature that it’s authors want you to think is essentially the same thing.
It’s called the Right to Refuse Service bill. I call it Stand Your Ground For Bigots.
It’s an affirmative-defense type law, like Stand Your Ground in Florida, which allows someone to refuse service to gays and lesbians, and other groups, as long as your discrimination was based in sincerely-held religious beliefs.
Too bad they don’t have to be fair, just, and loving. Just sincere.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck