It’s advancing, just like you knew it would; the bill from Chandler Legislator Steve Yarbrough.
It’s called the Right to Refuse Service bill. Sounds like a real empowering thing, doesn’t it?
I remember vividly walking into the True Value Hardware store in my hometown. It was the 1970s and sometimes I got to go in with Dad.
It was right there on Robin Hood street. It smelled like gasoline and gumballs, which was oddly a fantastic combination.
The guys that ran that store were awesome. They always remembered your name and they asked you about how you liked that new set of wiper blades or screen door.
In the window of that store was a sign. I remember reading it.
It said “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.”
I assumed that meant that if a customer was abusive, the clerk could ask him to leave. Those were polite times, weren’t they?
I never saw anyone refused service but it was nice to know that there was a sign in the window, informing that potentially impolite guy who DIDN’T like his new screen door, ‘We reserve the right to not deal with you.”
Here in Arizona, in 2014, it’s a different world and we have a law passed by the Legislature that it’s authors want you to think is essentially the same thing.
It’s called the Right to Refuse Service bill. I call it Stand Your Ground For Bigots.
It’s an affirmative-defense type law, like Stand Your Ground in Florida, which allows someone to refuse service to gays and lesbians, and other groups, as long as your discrimination was based in sincerely-held religious beliefs.
Too bad they don’t have to be fair, just, and loving. Just sincere.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy