PHOENIX — A riot was reported at a prison near Buckeye, Ariz. on Thursday.
The prison was placed on lockdown after a brawl broke out between several dozen inmates about 4 p.m. in a medium-security area at the Arizona State Prison Complex – Lewis.
Three inmates were injured in the fracas. No staff was injured.
The riot was originally reported by the Phoenix Fire Department’s dispatch.
Buckeye AZ riot at Lewis Prison Buckeye FD on scene with 4 ambulances and 2 incoming helicopters.
— Brant_in_AZ (@FireTalker) February 20, 2014
As a result of the riot, the area will stay on lockdown until at least next week.
Last month, the prison was put on lockdown after an immate allegedly assaulted a Department of Corrections employee. The inmate was subdued using non-lethal ammunition.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments