PHOENIX — A riot was reported at a prison near Buckeye, Ariz. on Thursday.
The prison was placed on lockdown after a brawl broke out between several dozen inmates about 4 p.m. in a medium-security area at the Arizona State Prison Complex – Lewis.
Three inmates were injured in the fracas. No staff was injured.
The riot was originally reported by the Phoenix Fire Department’s dispatch.
Buckeye AZ riot at Lewis Prison Buckeye FD on scene with 4 ambulances and 2 incoming helicopters.
— Brant_in_AZ (@FireTalker) February 20, 2014
As a result of the riot, the area will stay on lockdown until at least next week.
Last month, the prison was put on lockdown after an immate allegedly assaulted a Department of Corrections employee. The inmate was subdued using non-lethal ammunition.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered