PHOENIX — A riot was reported at a prison near Buckeye, Ariz. on Thursday.
The prison was placed on lockdown after a brawl broke out between several dozen inmates about 4 p.m. in a medium-security area at the Arizona State Prison Complex – Lewis.
Three inmates were injured in the fracas. No staff was injured.
The riot was originally reported by the Phoenix Fire Department’s dispatch.
Buckeye AZ riot at Lewis Prison Buckeye FD on scene with 4 ambulances and 2 incoming helicopters.
— Brant_in_AZ (@FireTalker) February 20, 2014
As a result of the riot, the area will stay on lockdown until at least next week.
Last month, the prison was put on lockdown after an immate allegedly assaulted a Department of Corrections employee. The inmate was subdued using non-lethal ammunition.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon