PHOENIX — A three-alarm fire near downtown Phoenix is expected to burn through the afternoon rush hour, a fire official said.
Emergency crews from across the Valley responded to the large fire, sparked by a welding accident, Thursday in an industrial area near the Interstate 10 and Interstate 17 stack.
The fire at Breecher Sales, located at 1326 N. 21st Ave., sent up a large plume of black smoke about 500 feet into the air that was visible across the Valley.
“They have a large yard, they have large storage facilities, but the reason this is a hazmat call is because all of the different things that they have,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs.
The business stored many materials, along with flammable metal that reacts with water and compresses gasses like propane and natural gas. Several loud explosions were heard and some structures have collapsed.
“The immediate area is extremely dangerous for firefighters,” Jacobs said.
Three buildings were lost in about 20 minutes.
The fire was difficult to fight because of the materials involved and the issue of getting enough water to fire lines. Firefighters solved both problems, Jacobs said. The fire is contained.
Nearby businesses were evacuated.
Westbound I-10 was closed from State Route 51 to 27th Avenue for several hours. It was reopened about 3:50 p.m. The ramps connecting westbound I-10 to both northbound and southbound I-17 remained closed.
The fire could cause air quality issues. It is expected to burn until about sunset at the earliest.
A worked involved in the accident was hospitalized with minor burns.
Below is video of an explosion inside the fire from 3TV.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy