PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation said repairs to a section of U.S. 89 south of Page could be finished by the end of the year.
It has been one year since 500 feet of pavement buckled last February, which caused the department to retool Navajo Route 20 as a way around the damage.
But the detour made for slow going for drivers and many people skipped the trip to Page, which hit its economy hard.
Dustin Krugel with ADOT said if there are no environmental, utility or right-of-way hurdles, construction crews will get to work on the road in the summer.
“That construction will include shifting the roadway 60 feet away from the landslide area. We’re also going to build a rock buttress to stabilize the area,” Krugel said.
The repair is estimated to cost $25 million. ADOT passed a major milestone this week toward beginning construction on the highway’s ultimate repair. The final environmental documentation was submitted to the Federal Highway Administration on Thursday for review.
Without this clearance, ADOT cannot use federal funds for the project.
ADOT also continued to work with the Navajo Nation on obtaining right-of-way easements. An agreement among the Federal Highway Administration, Navajo Nation and Bureau of Indian Affairs must be reached to establish an expanded easement.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets