PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation said repairs to a section of U.S. 89 south of Page could be finished by the end of the year.
It has been one year since 500 feet of pavement buckled last February, which caused the department to retool Navajo Route 20 as a way around the damage.
But the detour made for slow going for drivers and many people skipped the trip to Page, which hit its economy hard.
Dustin Krugel with ADOT said if there are no environmental, utility or right-of-way hurdles, construction crews will get to work on the road in the summer.
“That construction will include shifting the roadway 60 feet away from the landslide area. We’re also going to build a rock buttress to stabilize the area,” Krugel said.
The repair is estimated to cost $25 million. ADOT passed a major milestone this week toward beginning construction on the highway’s ultimate repair. The final environmental documentation was submitted to the Federal Highway Administration on Thursday for review.
Without this clearance, ADOT cannot use federal funds for the project.
ADOT also continued to work with the Navajo Nation on obtaining right-of-way easements. An agreement among the Federal Highway Administration, Navajo Nation and Bureau of Indian Affairs must be reached to establish an expanded easement.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development